HERMANUS - SUN - SEA - WHALES!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
August 30th 2010
Published: August 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

"Room with a View!""Room with a View!""Room with a View!"

After a Saturday of rain and wind - we were blessed with this beautiful sight when we woke up on Suday morning.
Some information gleaned from a pre- World Cup Publication - and beyond.

Best land-based whale watching in the world!
Long stretches of pristine, powdery white beaches - sandwiched between majestic mountains and sparkling ocean - whale coast offers breathaking views!
The Cape Floral Kingdon - myriad fynbos species - home to countless birds and animals.
Spectacular marine wild life - whales, sharks, dolphins, penguins, seals and more!!
A water wonder world: fishing, kayaking, canoeing, surfing, diving, boating!
A plethora of exciting activities for the adventurous - shark diving, horse riding, quad biking - micro-lighting. tree top sliding and sand boarding!
Tours of townships and wineries --------

This really is a most spectacular place to visit.

We were spoiled by being able to stay in a flat right on the water's edge - first floor - so we h ad un-obstructed views of the ocean - wonderful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

WAVESWAVES
WAVES

We spent a long time waiting for the biggest waves - so that we got the best "splashes!!"
Shell hunting Shell hunting
Shell hunting

Mostly mussel shells - millions of them - but some beautiful unspoiled shells amongst them.
View over the bayView over the bay
View over the bay

Taken as we walked along the cliff path - in Hermanus
WHALE WATCHINGWHALE WATCHING
WHALE WATCHING

"Spot the whale?" - We did - not one but three - right in front of our balcony!
THE WHALE CRIERTHE WHALE CRIER
THE WHALE CRIER

As soon as whales are sighted in the bay he blows his "whale" horn to call the people to come and see! The horn is fashioned from a piece of kelp! VERY sought after for photographs. Remember the sound of the world cup vuvuzela? this sounds similar-but less jarring!
this also taken from the cliff path!this also taken from the cliff path!
this also taken from the cliff path!

Definitely worth lots and lots more visits!!


31st August 2010

Fantastic pictures
Hi Lorna and Aubrey Just had my first look at your blog and finding what is your stuff and what are links that send you off on some other trail! It is wonderful to see all your pictures. The blue skies and views are just breathtaking and I am sure everyone is wishing they were there with you...I certainly am.
31st August 2010

thanks
wow, you have some beautiful pictures on your blog, it's awesome, keep it up, that's a great way to follow you along on your trip.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb