Boesmanskloof


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Greyton
July 29th 2012
Published: August 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Hike:

Day 1

Saturday

We started our hike at about 7:30 am in Greyton and followed the winding traill through the Riviersonderend Mountains to Mcgregor. It was a little chilly when we started but we soon enough warmed up as we started to ascend. It's good to keep in mind when hiking in winter months that keeping warm is not as much a challenge as staying cool, I was fine in my wicking t-shirt,a thin wicking long sleeve top and a waterproof outer shell which I shed as soon as I got hot but kept it close-by for when those gusts of winds came up or the clouds threatened.

Our first stop was Breakfast Rock- where we all huddled around the rocks to take shelter from the gusty wind. A few boiled eggs and hot coffee later we hit the road again, next stop was Oaks Falls, it must be an amazing place to cool down in summer months!

Soon we were faced with a crossroad and a decision had to be made.. do we take the Historical route aka the road to nowhere... or do we take the natural beauty route next to the river- but that means facing the stairmaster from hell..a hectic uphell at the end....we opted for the historical route- the road to nowhere..it wasn't that bad, it's a section between the two paths where they decided to stop building the road for whatever reason, that just meant we had to walk along the cliff's edge!



A warm comforting smell of a cosy fire greeted us as we came to the top and turned the corner.. WE MADE IT!!! And just in time, once we were all inside it really started to rain!

We had a wonderfull evening playing games and entertaining each other😊

After a good night's rest we were ready for the downhill and our hike back to Greyton. Some of us got very excited for the 5 drops of rain that we could not resist putting our ponchos on- but soon enough ripped them off again! We made it back in good time and couldn't wait to get home to soak in a hot bath.

PS.. SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN FOR MORE PICS😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 56, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb