Our final full day


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
March 30th 2013
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.916, 18.4222

All through the previous evening, the wind had been picking up, and back in Cape Town it was a regular wind storm. Our friends explained that such wind storms are common during December and January, but that it was rare to have one so late in the summer. I never fully understood, but it has something to do with the water temperatures. All that said, there were gail force winds, and the tremendous gusts during the night meant that none of us got much sleep. Our plan for the morning had been to make another go at ascending the cable car on Table Mountain. Though I already knew the answer, we checked the website shortly before 7:00am, and they had already decided to close for the day given the dangerous winds. Truth be told, I personally was not too disappointed, as I woke up feeling none too well. It was my turn to have a "24-hour travel bug." We spent part of the morning at the crafts market down on the square, but I crawled into bed for a couple of hours before we headed back down to the waterfront for the afternoon.

The waterfront area comprises a huge mall complex, abutting a series of other buildings with stores, attractions, restaurants, etc. The acclaimed aquarium is here, too. While everyone else visited the aquarium, and I retreated back to the car and slept for a little while, feeling somewhat better when we all met again for dinner, which was at a place serving traditional South African fare. The winds remained fierce throughout the day, and it was almost comical trying to walk outside and maintain your footing. We'd hoped for another harborside meal, but freely admit that the indoor meal was a welcome break from the maelstrom outside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb