Table Mountain above the clouds


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
May 4th 2015
Published: May 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Waking up on our last morning in Cape Town was kind of disappointing, partly because we had 1 day left to see the infamous Table Mountain and it was cloudy. Table Mountain is one of the highest vantage points in Cape Town sitting at 3500 feet and is one of the most photographed icons of the city. This is a mountain were you would prefer seeing it on a clear day. There are two ways you can get to the top of this mountain, one being a 3 hour hike to the top, or a short five minute ride on their famous areal cableway. The only problem being if the weather or wind changes the cableway will stop running and you will be forced to hike down, or sit patiently for it to reopen. Table Mountain is one of the official new 7 wonders of nature.

The weather said it was going to be clear around 3pm that day so we took our time getting ready to go to Table Mountain. Once we realized the weather man lied, we jumped back on our hop on hop off tour bus and headed that way. Once we arrived we decided to skip hiking due to time and weather and experience this cableway, which would be an adventure in itself. After exchanging some impolite words to the people pushing and shoving (dad you know who I am talking about) we boarded the cableway. This cableway can hold approximately 20-25 people. There are also open air windows in which you can look through. What they didn’t tell us or what I chose not to hear was that the floor of this cable way rotates 360 degrees so everyone has the opportunity to take in the views. Not only are you ascending up so high, but you are now moving around in a circle. This is the most bizarre feeling ever. I am not normally afraid of heights, but the higher we got the worse it got for me. Once we reached the top safely, we were off to explore the top of the mountain. Cape Town below was completely covered in clouds and only a small section not the city was visible. This was a tad disappointing as taking pictures would be quite boring; however also cool to be above the clouds. We were able to hike a ways on the top itself and managed to get some really good shots of the portions of the city that was visible. This is a place we’d definitely need to come back to and not wait so long to go to the top. After spending an hour at the top we finally made our decent down. I must say that going down was a lot worse than going up.



We ended up back at the café down the street which had free wifi and sat for several hours people watching and eating our last meal which consisted of an American Burger.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb