Cape Town Part II


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
February 5th 2013
Published: February 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cape Town Part II

Friday afternoon came around quickly, and after an arts and crafts morning (after accepting Simon’s challenge of a fancy sign for pick up) we left for the airport. Arriving with Nardee wearing her Gerald the Giraffe ears and me with my Ellie the Elephant ears on, plus the entourage of Betty and Mable (our flamingo and chicken), and some extra bird apparel for the hair we entered the airport looking quite special did receive the odd glance. However, the pickup didn’t go according to plan and unfortunately after waiting like idiots for 3 lots of flights to come through we realised we were at the wrong terminal. Once we finally found Simon, a little tired but excited to be on holidays in Africa and appreciative of our efforts albeit the late pick up we took off for our busy weekend ahead.



We spent the afternoon driving through a National Park up to Langebaan which is about an hour a half up the west coast from Cape Town. We stayed at Nardee’s friend’s Steve and Caroline’s gorgeous beach house, enjoying the magnificent views whilst watching the kite surfers and sipping on our local wines from the vineyards we had visited days earlier. That evening we sampled delicious Kingklip which is the local fish at the local pub/restaurant and felt very much at home with friends watching the Safa’s beat the Kiwi’s in the cricket.



The next day we went down to our little private beach to enjoy the sunshine, water and to try out the new Go Pro (the video camera and Simon’s new best friend). With Nard on the surfboard and Simon and I in the Kayak, we tackled the high winds, seals, and fisherman’s lines providing much entertainment for the most part of the morning. We were very happy with the Go Pro and the quality of the footage taken, therefore keen to use it again soon.



We left soon after lunch and –spent the afternoon back in Cape Town visiting Robben Island a UNESCO world Heritage site. It is situated 9km off shore and was the island in which Nelson Mandela among other political prisoners were incarcerated to. We learnt that Mandela spent 18 of his 27 years in his 3m x 3m cell. The tour guide was an ex-prisoner himself, who had been imprisoned under suspicion of terrorism for 8 years and was released in 1991. This was an added bonus to what was a quite moving tour and made you appreciate and want to learn more about the trials and tribulations of Nelson Mandela’s life and his journey for freedom, equality and peace.



That evening we enjoyed another delicious Braai (BBQ) at Nardee’s friend Emma and Jess’s house which was most enjoyable. With great friendly company (reminding us once again of home) we tried Ostrich steaks amongst other yummy food.



Our last day in Cape Town was a busy one, starting the morning with the most incredible hike up Lion’s Head. Whilst eating our breakfast at the top of the mountain we took in the breath taking views that Cape Town has to offer with Table Mountain behind us, Camps Bay to the right with the 12 Apostles, Robben Island out in front of us and the rest of the bay and city to the right, absolutely breath taking. Nardee kindly told us after the hike that more people die climbing Lion’s Head than they do climbing Everest (thanks for keeping that one to yourself Nards).



We then ventured off to Cape Point the most southern point in South Africa and where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet. On route we first stopped at Boulders beach (just past Simon’s Town) to view the most incredibly cute penguins who were chilling on the beach and in the rocks. They looked super cute walking around and standing in couples looking like they were kissing and holding hands. After saying farewell to the penguins we continued on to Cape Point and hiked the short route to the point lookout at the light house due to the gusty winds. At this stage we were ravenous so we ended up dining on the seafront eating ribs and seafood in Calk Bay.

We checked in to meet the tour group at the hostel and to fill out our paper work but opted to stay in the mansion for the final night instead of the backpackers. Our final night of luxury was spent packing, washing and doing all the last minute things before the start of the African adventure commencing bright and early at 7am.

Stay tuned for the next update. Not sure when we will get Wifi next but will update you as soon as possible.



Hope all is well with one and all.

Simon and Alex

xx

Advertisement



6th February 2013

Will enjoy continued updates.

Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0757s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb