Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
November 7th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Directions at cape pointDirections at cape pointDirections at cape point

Follow this sign for our stop.
We have arrived finally and on time with no problems. We got to our hostel at 10.30 am, which was way too early to check in so we headed to the bar for a beer! First thing we noticed in the beer garden was Table Mountain in front of us which was a good start. Spent most of the first day looking into trips for the week ahead, then we went for a look around. Its not like anywhere either of us have been before and took a while to get used to. There is a strange sense of intimidation until you realise its just a different way of life. We havnt actually seen any problems as such. Just took a while to get used to it.

Hostel is nice. Got everything we need and is in a good location. We have had a few problems with noise on a night time so we had a moan and got upgraded to the guesthouse round the corner. Clearly getting too old to be up all night with the kids!!!! Lets hope our next room isnt next to the communal area or bar.

Table mountain was our first day out. We made our way to the cable cars which take you up the mountain (you can also hike but that was never going to happen)! Once we were up there the views were breath taking. You could see for miles in every direction. Luckily the weather was really clear so we could see all the way to false bay. We took what we thought was a short walk on the top and somehow managed to join a 2 hour trail. Was def worth the effort though.

Sharks were on the list next. Pick up for this was 4.30am!!!! This better be worth it Andrew! Apparently it was for the time Andrew was in the cage as there were large great whites metres away from the cage. Unfortunaltely we spent the rest of the time throwing up over the side. First time being sea sick, mainly due to the high waves and the boat being stationary for 3 hours.

Winelands the next day. This was a day filled with wine. Something which was right up our street. The guide lady told us all about how they make wine which was interesting for a while but we just wanted the tasting to start. We must of had 25 tastings and by the end the wine had all got a bit too much. We havnt wanted to drink any wine since! There was a nice meal provided and we tried a traditional South African dish called bobotie. Basically sheperds pie with egg instead of mash with a few raisins thrown in. Very nice!

The best day was today which was a Cape Point tour. This included stops at a few different places around the cape peninsula including Houts Bay where we took a boat trip out to seal island, it's nice to get up close to the seals but they absolutley stink! Then Simon's Town where there are African penguins before the best part which was a 10k bike ride from the edge of Table Bay National Park to the Cape of Good Hope (the most south-westerly point of Africa). The views here were as good if not better than Table Mountain as you could see water on both sides of the Cape. An unexpected addition to the day was the wildlife. We saw the only 4 Zebra's in the whole of the national park which we were told was very
Seals IslandSeals IslandSeals Island

Cute but stink
lucky. We also saw some baboons.

Today is our last day in cape town before we start out along the garden route. It has probably taken us a whole day on and off to figure out which places we are going to stay en route and for how long. First stop is a place called Oodtshoorn which is about a 7 hour drive away and is famous for its Ostrich farming so will post more as we go along!!

PS. Having a little trouble getting photos uploaded but will do so asap


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Cape TownCape Town
Cape Town

Approaching Cape of Good Hope
Bottom of Table MountainBottom of Table Mountain
Bottom of Table Mountain

We thought this was a good view until we got to the top
Top of Table MountainTop of Table Mountain
Top of Table Mountain

Looking over football stadium and Robben Island in the distance
Shark Diving (before the sickmess)Shark Diving (before the sickmess)
Shark Diving (before the sickmess)

This is the only picture we have of the shark diving. I was too sick to take any pictures of andrew in the water.
Winelands TourWinelands Tour
Winelands Tour

Let the drinking commence!
WinelandsWinelands
Winelands

Nah too small!


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb