MZOLI's


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
June 15th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This place is ridiculous. Mzoli’s started out as just a place to eat- its kind of like Mongolian BBQ- in the sense you pick out which meat you want and someone else cooks it up for you, but SO different for many reasons. You walk into what looks like a butcher - just meat everywhere- you wait in line for up to 2 hours and you pick out what meat you want: borvourset (the African sausage specialty), lamb, steak, brisket, pork, chicken and some misc. stuff that I am not brave enough to try. You can see in the pictures tons of people and in the background you can see someone cutting slabs of meat (definitely a different experience) the ladies behind the counter weigh it for you (it is super cheap 40 rand per person is what we normally do and its so much food - 40 rand is like $5.50), rub it down with their special rub and then give us a container of sauce to bring to the back. You pay for it, along with any sides you may want, which include: bread or paup (its like a polenta taste, and mashed potatoes color, but not good at all) those are your only 2 choices -- I personally don’t eat either but we usually purchase bread. So once you have paid for you food, you take the bowl of raw food in a huge bucket back to the braai. There are 2 rooms with grills (braai) - it is so incredibly smoky everyone that doesn’t work there is crying by the time you can drop your food and get out. Unlike most restaurants your food doesn’t come out in a timely manner it takes anywhere from an hour to 2.5 hours. Usually we get too impatient and someone goes and bribes the chefs with 10 - 30 rand ($1.50 - 3.50) to make it quicker. This meat is SO good. Tender, tasty, juicy, just delicious. Now you are probably thinking where do we eat this delicious food? Well, the set up behind Mzoli’s has changed every single week since I have gone, which is now 3 times. The first time we had a couple of standing tables, right near the live African music, the second time we shared an extra large round table with some crazy rugby players and enjoyed the live DJ set (pictured), and the last time it was all set up for the world cup with huge TVs and projectors playing the matches, picnic tables and a DJ during half time and in between matches (pictured). As soon as the world cup started there was a lot more organization, security and flow to the area as a whole. This place is the most ‘Africa’ thing that I have done, it is right at the beginning of a township called Guguletu- it is definitely not safe by yourself, but we go in large numbers and we always leave before the sun goes down. Everyone is extremely friendly and there are lots of security guards (mom don’t worry) but it is very fun and I am able to participate first hand in their culture. I could go every single Sunday forever-- it is that much fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



15th June 2010

lived in Cape Town, and first i heard of this place..... seems like you are having a great experience, but the summer there is a dream..... Dont forget to go to the wine route.. stunning ......enjoy
16th June 2010

Meat!
Looks like quite the scene, just like a BBQ at the cohens! Good, clean local fun no doubt! Enjoy! Xoxoo
16th June 2010

Meat!
Looks like quite the scene, just like a BBQ at the cohens! Good, clean local fun no doubt! Enjoy! Xoxoo
23rd November 2010

Mzoli's
What the heck is borvourset? Is that French for boerewors (boere=farmers, wors=sausage), and what is 'rubbin' the meat? it is actually called marinade. Obviously you guys have never cooked any food before. Other than that it is really an experience every visitor should have. cheers

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb