Last leg of the trip....


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
February 20th 2006
Published: February 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Quick highlights:

10 Feb - Drove from Ngorongoro to Lake Manyara: rainforest environment, more Tarzan like, got up-close and personal with a Hippo eating!!! Blue balled monkeys and the best t-shirt place in Tanzania...

11 Feb - Tab and Mar woke up with the biggest spider they EVER saw on the roof. They had to take turns getting ready so the other could stand guard.
- Ran into Bill & Hillary - Chelsea stayed in the car - at the hottest little Indian selling African curio shop in Tanzania! Bill says hi!
- Drove through Arusha (the jumping off point to Kilimajaro) and parted ways with our beloved guide Arnold.
- Took a 12-seater cessna to Wilson Airport in Nairobi where we were greeted by David, our guide from Kenya and killed 4 hours at a bar in the airport.
- Walked through gangway only to be led out the doors and down stairs to the tarmac where we walked to our plane. Prior to taking off, we were all fumigated.
- We arrived in Jo'burg at midnight, Sandra + Paul and Marie + Steven (our amazing hosts) took us to stay in Pretoria with Marie and Steven.

12 Feb - Went to an African flea market... tasted biltong for the first time - WOW ... Adrian and Jay - you'd be addicted!
- Had our firsat Braai (African grill) with tons and tons of people - most from the team - had a great time meeting all of the families (Antonette, Marlise, Christine, husbands/partners).

13 Feb - At the Jo'burg airport, went through the gates then were bussed to the field where they parked our plane... and were fumigated again.
- Stayed at a resort near Livingstone (Zambesi Sun), very nice and extremely expensive!!! Water cost more than beer and everything is in US dollars.
- We walked to Victoria Falls, thankfully we met up with a rhasta man hiding in the bushes (having a toke?) who turned out to be quite the knowledgeable guide. He walks 7 KM to his home and back and is paid by donations. Mar and Shirl rented ponchos while Tab got soaked.
- Victoria Falls is a must see. It actually made Tab speechless! (And us all).
- We had to beat Zebras off to get space by the pool.
- Mar and Tab ended up crashing a Phizer sales conference function, the drinks were on the house... closed the bar...
14 Feb - Happy Valentines Day!!! Shirley woke early to do a microlight flight around Vic Falls and area
- Tab (not from the alcohol)was in bed sick while Mar and Shirley ditched Tab to go shopping.
- Sat withthe Zebras around the pool and partook of foot massages and ice cold beers.
- Went on the African Queen up the Zambezi River (READ: Booze Cruise) where we ended up being the rowdy crowd. Made new friends American newlyweds and a British family.
- The party ensuedat the bar.

15 Feb - Began the day with Tab's head in the toilet again... not from alcohol and Mar and Shirley on the back of a horse (no this does not mean they are a horses ass!)
- We saw Giraffes laying down and sleeping on the grass... up close and personal! Horses got as close as 7 metres to elephants.
- Return flight to Jo'burg... must be patient for flights apparently there's NO sense of emergency in Zambia!
- They park the planes in the fields and bus us to the terminal in Jo'burg.
- Corrie and Catrien took us to watch them play Action Cricket... tight buns and amazing shoulders... WHOOO HA!!

16 Feb - Sun City of bust! Bribed the doorman to allow us to walk into the hotel then bribed the maid to look at the room. Marie 'acquired' while Marlene pilfered the goodie basket in the bathroom... NOTE: Sun City Palace Jojoba Oil strongly recommended!
- Hit the casino in Sun City where Tabitha became an instant winner and Shirley became an instant loser!!

17 Feb - Corrie and Catrien took us to Gold Reef City where we rode the Anaconda... Shirley had to bale after the first ride... only the strong can survive the Anaconda!!
- Evening was another braai this time at Thea's home. We were served half a 'Portagee' chicken, washed down by Springbokes.

18 Feb - Off to Jo'burg for a special ostrich 'potje' (pronounced poy kee) plus numerous alcoholic bevies... this time we were hosted by Toni and Amelia.

19 Feb - Tabitha still had her head in the toilet bowl... while Marlene's ass is STILL on the toilet too!! (Not due to Toni's cooking... travel bugs!) (But BOY is Marlene gettin' thin!)
- We went to the big local dam where we spent a very relaxing time crusing the lake on a speed boat. Thanks Johan and Marlena!!
-





Advertisement



20th February 2006

One week left ....
Your adventures on this leg are different but no less interesting. Stay safe! Love Mom
21st February 2006

Wow!
So the journey is winding donw but still exciting. Shirl, so happy you did this. :) :) looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get back. Then, I guess you will be off again.
21st February 2006

What A Trip!
Hi Shirl, you guys are having the best time. Loved the comment about Victoria Falls. Sounds awesome. So glad you are having a great time and that you went on this trip. Take care, Holly

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb