Weekend in Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
August 10th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

View from Robben IslandView from Robben IslandView from Robben Island

A view of Cape Town from Robben Island.
This weekend we were given the opportunity to explore Cape Town. Most of us headed to Robben Island, the island prison which housed many of the political prisoners during apartheid - including Nelson Mandela. We toured the island learning about its history and visiting sites such as the limestone quarry where Nelson Mandela and other prisoners were forced to labor. We then headed to the cells where we were guided by a former political prisoner who explained what it was like to be imprisoned at Robben Island. He then led us to the cell where Mandela spent almost 20 years of his 27 year prison sentence. Robben Island was a moving experience that none of us will soon forget.

We also took the opportunity to head to the top of Table Mountain. The mountain stands at the edge of Cape Town and provides a magnificent view of the city. We took the cable car up the mountain and explored the view from the top.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Limestone QuarryLimestone Quarry
Limestone Quarry

This is the limestone quarry where Nelson Mandela and other prisoners were forced to work.
From Prisoner to GuideFrom Prisoner to Guide
From Prisoner to Guide

This was our tour guide who was once a political prisoner housed at Robben Island.
Mandela's CellMandela's Cell
Mandela's Cell

This is the cell where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for almost 20 years!
Table MountainTable Mountain
Table Mountain

This is the cable car that took us up Table Mountain.
View from Table MountainView from Table Mountain
View from Table Mountain

This is the view of Cape Town from the top of Table Mountain.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb