So the adventure begins....


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
September 20th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It is actually very hard to describe South Africa, or maybe more specifically Cape Town. As we drove into the city, you cannot help but notice the vast townships/slums that people are living in. This was then completely contradicted by the various beauty spots of camps bay and the waterfront, fronted by shops selling diamonds and fur. It has been a completely manic first 5 days. I have gained a much better grasp and understanding of the apartheid and slave trade, visiting the tourist attractions of the Slave lodge and the city's castle. It has been a real eyeopener into the diverse culture of cape town, simply walking around the shops and the market. I also fell in love with a little marker seller, who after my first attempt at haggling, sold me a picture worth half my daily budget!!! Opps! Whilst it definitely doesnt have a completely safe feel to the city, the people so far have been friendley and helpful. Apart from one person who stole MY cheese out of the fridge in the first hostel. Dont they know Hannah doesnt share food!? Yesterday after moving hostel, not because of the cheese thief but because we needed to be closer to town, we ended up at the top of Table mountain with a girl we met at the hostel from Holland. Not that I am competitive but she mentioned she was going to attempt the walk down to Kirstenbosch gardens. We found out at the top that it was a 4-6hour walk down. Problem? I think not. 3.15 hours later we arrived into the middle of the botanical gardens, 1000m from the top. At times a little breathtaking/scary as the path seemed to run out and we had to climb down the middle of "skeleton gorge" but once the adrenalin and lactica cid seemed to either kick in or burn out. It was totally worth it! Today a little trek by train (3hour round trip) to see the penguins at Simon's Town. A must for anyone thinking of travelling in this direction. Leaving Cape Town in the morning to head for Stellenbosch and wine tasting and then hitting the garden route. South Africa thus far has been a complete and total mind blur but looking forward to experiencing its next installment!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb