The Fairy & the Farm. Part III: The Magical Bag


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
February 21st 2007
Published: February 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hout Bay and two hippiesHout Bay and two hippiesHout Bay and two hippies

The view over Hout Bay from Chapman's Peak Drive.
�Good monin�.� November�s smile filled up every corner of the little shack, and so also did the smell of pancakes.
�I�ve made yoo samm breakfast�
The fairy sat up on the colourful couch. Next to a plate of pancakes - towering three feet high - laid her flute.
�What happened?� Asked the drowsy fairy as she smeared apple-cinnamon ice cream on her first pancake.
�I summoned the spirit of Ubuntu and told her what had happen to yoo. Then it didn�t take long for she to convince Despair to give the fluut back. Even though she is the most benevolent of the all spirits and powerful she is so very muuch, she cannot watch the two brothers at all time, and that�s when thing like this go happen. She said now she be with yoo and to watch over them yoo until yoo leave the reinbow nation.� Explained November in animated gestures.
�So at what time did you come back yesterday then?� Asked the fairy between two mouthfuls of pancakes.
�Oh, not too late. I came back with two friends I thought yoo might like too have meet, but yoo were already asleep, and the Sandman-crystal ball was with yoo.
November's Secret RecipeNovember's Secret RecipeNovember's Secret Recipe

Add a touch of lime to your pancakes to get that citrus-reason to put even more sugar on.
He usually give yoo whaat yoo need the most, without yoo even make the ask.�
November dried the pancake-mix off her hands on a smiling fish riding a cab - that was printed on her funny looking apron - then pulled out an old map.
�Here!� November pointed with her brown chubby fingers that looked like Mars-bars, on a place on the map marked: The Boulders.
�This is were yoo must to find the penguin in a group.�
She explained to the fairy how she should walk not to get lost, and the fairy nodded in accord, although she didn�t get half of what November explained.
Rejuvenated from her deep sleep and charged with energy from the breakfast, the fairy grabbed her belongings, said goodbye to the friendly woman, and promised to revisit some time soon.
Two small girls - Hope and Change - accompanied the fairy through ImiZamo Yethu�s vibrant streets and pointed the fairy in the direction of Chapman�s Peak.

The road up to Chapman�s peak was a trudge.
She rested for an hour in a cave under a ledge on the neck of Chapman�s Peak, enjoying the view over the sentinel and Hout Bay, where she just had been; and the view over the long white beach of Noordhoek that spread out southwards like a huge sandy walkway, with loving couples and fading footprints. Then she turned to the east, and in the far distance she could see the other side of the peninsula and the warm waters of the Indian Ocean.
This was where she had to go to find the penguins.

As she walked she felt the presence of the spirit of Ubuntu watching over her.
She thought about the two stories that November the fortune-teller had told her. The one about the crocodile eating the moon and the story about when the creator had hired a painter to paint the world and he�d used all the blue for the sky and the ocean, so there was no blue left for the plants, trees or animals. The creator had been very unhappy with the painter colouring two thirds of the world in blue, so to make up for his mistake, the painter had painted the rainbow.
Lost in thoughts she walked into the Silver Mine Nature Reserve and as she reached Echo Valley it was
A cluster of Rose quartsA cluster of Rose quartsA cluster of Rose quarts

The glowing crystals kept the depth of the cave warm.
already nightfall so she decided to spend the night in a nearby cave. A small and extended entrance led into the main cave that was shaped like an orb, the size of a normal room.
That night, too, she slept deep and her dreams carried her far away from the African continent to the cold north of Scandinavia where she had spent her childhood memorizing the Viking saga. It had been her legacy to store the legends for the future when mankind once again would be ready to draw wisdom from the legends of Asgard, Utgard and Midgard.

As the fairy woke up the whole cave was filled with a pink, bright light.
The first rays of the morning sun had found their way through the narrow opening and hit a big cluster of rose quartz that now glinted, glistened and glittered like a natural chandelier.
A piece of chalk lay on the ground of the cave and on the wall it was written: WHO ARE YOU?
The fairy wasn�t sure if the writing on the wall had been there before she�d entered the cave, so before she left she wrote: THE FAIRY OF VIKING FOLKLORE,
Kalk Bay meandersKalk Bay meandersKalk Bay meanders

Kalk Bay slowly turnes into St James at the far end of the photo. In the foreground Cape To Cuba can be seen (it's the red roof with the yellow star on). A great place to act left-wing and down revolutionary coctails. The building on the right-hand side of the railway tracks is the Brass Bell, another good place to if one tries to escape the dry nights of Fish Hoek and Clovelly.
AND YOU?

She kept on walking in the direction of the sun and paused first as she stood on the peak of a promontory that separated a long curved beach that disappeared into the faraway; from a smaller beach at where another suburb lay. The suburb spread out on the plain back towards Chapman�s Peak, which now looked more like a small pile of pebbles somewhere in the distance.
�Hi!� A voice uttered from beneath her.
�Are you enjoying the views?�
The fairy looked down.
On the side of the rock - not more than two metres below her - a boy was clinging to the mountainside with his fingers.
�Have you fallen? Do you need help?� The fairy asked him.
�No. I�m rock-climbing, it�s supposed to look like this. Wait a minute and I�ll be up there with you.�
The boy panted and climbed the remaining two metres of the steep mountainside.
He had brown dreadlocks and dimples as he smiled.
�I�m Gary." He reached out one of his chalky hands and introduced himself.
"Nice to meet you.�
The fairy, who didn�t understand why anyone voluntarily would climb up a mountain since it was
Fynbos-foreground Beach-backgroundFynbos-foreground Beach-backgroundFynbos-foreground Beach-background

On the mountain between Calk Bay and Clovelly, overlooking False Bay; the views reward you after the sweaty slog up the sandstone mountain.
so much easier to fly up, grabbed his chalky fingers and greeted him.
They sat down and shared Gary�s lunch while he explained about the endemic plants that grew on the Cape Peninsula and the different gems and crystals that could be found there, too.
When the fairy mentioned the cave with the rose quartz chandelier he knew exactly where it was. It was the cave in Echo Valley at where he usually meditated.
He told her about his best friend Kyle - one of the last true adventurers - who was on a South African expedition to the pole of inaccessibility on Antarctica. They would raise a statue of Nelson Mandela, in solid chocolate ice cream, that would be four metres tall. It would wear a suit made of Smarties, and it would stand facing the steel and concrete statue of Lenin, that the Russians brought in 1964.
He told her about the fisherman�s daughter where they stayed, and as the fairy explained her story; he listened carefully to her words.
�The penguins are at the Boulders.� Gary said.
�It�s two beaches further south from where we are now.�
He pointed to the house where
Opaque SeedOpaque SeedOpaque Seed

The small crystal seeds that the fairy managed to gather in Crystal Valley, a secret valley in Clovelly.
he staid, at the foot of the promontory.
�This is Clovelly. After this you�ll get to Fishhoek, then Simon's Town. The Boulders are just south of Simon's Town, I can accompany you there.�
The fairy smiled and accepted his offer and they set off down the mountain.
After a few hundred metres they got to a valley where the whole ground was covered in crystals.
�This is Crystal Valley. The small opaque crystals are all seeds, if you plant them in the right place, they will all grow into huge clusters of clear crystals.�
The fairy started energetically to collect crystals, but as she picked one up, she would drop the flute, and as she picked up the flute, she would drop a wing instead.
Gary, who had watched the fairy in her comic plight, laughed light-heartedly and gave her his bag.
�You clearly need this one much more than I do. It�s a very strange bag and I don�t exactly know how it works. I can put in anything I want and when I need it, I just think about that specific object, put my hand into the bag, and as I pull my hand out; I have
The Magical BagThe Magical BagThe Magical Bag

The bag that the fairy got from Gary looked Indian, with its patchwork of old cloth. But it could also change appearance at times. It was like it almost had a life on its own, the fairy thought.
the object in my hand."
The fairy held the beautiful and multicoloured bag in her hand and studied the patchwork and the intricate patterns. It didn�t look like the bag could contain more than a jar or two of peanut butter; at the most. She thought.
�How much does it contain?� She asked Gary.
�Who knows? At least my laundry, my climbing equipment, my record collection and all my books. If only the opening was a bit bigger, I�m sure you could stuff a couple of elephants inside, too.�
�But what happens if you forget something inside?� The fairy asked while lifting the feather light bag at the shoulder strap.
�It never comes out. That�s why I have Hindsight.�
From underneath Gary�s dreads, an albino rat slowly appeared and climbed out onto his right shoulder.
�Hindsight, don�t be shy! Meet our new friend.� Gary told the rat that scrunched its nose and nodded its head towards the fairy while saying something to Gary.
�Yes I know it is.� Gary told the rat.
�I found the bag a few months ago in that very same cave you told me about in Echo Valley. Try it!� Said Gary.
The fairy
A Speleologist's HeavenA Speleologist's HeavenA Speleologist's Heaven

The many complex caves that can be found in the mountains above Clovelly and Calk Bay are unique, since it's very seldom cave-systems evolve in this type of chemically unreactive rock. The mountain-sides are full of funny-looking outcrops, and it's a perfect place for rock-climbing or kloofing.
put her belongings inside along with a pile of crystals she�d just gathered.
�Now think about one of the things that you put in the bag and reach down into the bag and grab it.�
�Pipe� The fairy said aloud, dipped her arm into the bag and brought out a pipe.
�Ooh, that�s one of mine."
Gary hurried to put the suspiciously sweet-smelling pipe in his pocket, gave Hindsight a face, then encouraged the fairy to try again, and this time, think more precisely about what she wanted.
The fairy closed her eyes and thought about her wings, about flying, and reached into the bag and brought out; an album?
I BELIEVE I CAN FLY. With R. KELLY. !?
�Ooops, that�s� one of the more embarrassing records in my collection.� Gary said and blushed.
�Keep your mind focused on one object, only!�
The fairy tried again and this time she picked up one of her wings.
They walked down the mountain and as they�d reached halfway, Gary�s phone rang. He worked in the movie industry and had to meet some clients.
�I have to run but Hindsight here will gladly escort you to the penguins. Just empty
The Spirit of Ubuntu in Tetra PackThe Spirit of Ubuntu in Tetra PackThe Spirit of Ubuntu in Tetra Pack

This maize-drink is something of a classic in the Southern African region. It takes some time to get used to it but then it's just as addictive as the mielie-pap.
the bag of my belongings as you reach our house. I can but felicitate you on your quest.�
The rat nodded and the fairy waved goodbye to Gary who disappeared down the mountainside with his dreadlocks flapping on his shoulders like biltong.

Down at the house Hindsight helped the fairy to empty the bag; a few socks, some late rental movies, some bags of seeds and herbs, a note with many girl-names and numbers scribbled over it, and a box of rat-fodder Hindsight finished in two seconds.

Then they started walking towards the Boulders.



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Funny FynbosFunny Fynbos
Funny Fynbos

This flower is called: Red-type-a-flower-that-looks-nice! In my newer extended vocabulary, that now includes unique flowers like this one. Oh how eloquent.
C-lovel(l)yC-lovel(l)y
C-lovel(l)y

CHORUS: (SHE) All night. She wants the young American. Young American, young American, she wants the young American. All right. She wants the young American.
NoordhoekNoordhoek
Noordhoek

A leafy and quiet suburb on the West Coast of the southern peninsula with horse-paddocks and a long-long-long beach that extends to Kommetjie.
Fish Hoek: another "dry" nightFish Hoek: another "dry" night
Fish Hoek: another "dry" night

Fish Hoek (Afrikaans Vishoek)is an old fishing village 35 km from central Cape Town by road. It's located on the Cape Peninsula's Eastern side, thus being blessed with the warmer waters of the Indian Ocean. It's popular among old retired people and sunbathers and it used to be forbidden with alcohol in the municipality. Still today, no bottle-stores can be found, and there's only a restaurant or two serving beer, in very moderate doses.
Another day at another perfect beachAnother day at another perfect beach
Another day at another perfect beach

The Fish Hoek beach. In the background, behind the sloping promontory, Simon's Town can be seen. One day on the beach there was a pod of seals competing with the surfers over the best surf. Beautiful and graceful acrobatics.
Fishing Boat BoogieFishing Boat Boogie
Fishing Boat Boogie

The Kalk Bay Harbour on a grey day. The fishermen would set out at dawn and arrive back early morning with the nightly catch and some new stories to memorize.
Splashing in the WavesSplashing in the Waves
Splashing in the Waves

This handsome, dread-locked American wsa spotted in the luke-warm waves of Fish Hoek, far from his native soil in the land of Milk and Honey.
Kloofing in the Western CapeKloofing in the Western Cape
Kloofing in the Western Cape

Kloofing is a mixture of trekking and rock-climbing that suits the Cape Peninsula like a hand in a glove. Best is to bring an experienced kloofer along, since every year several people are injured while kloofing in the Cape.
Mr Gary GoodMr Gary Good
Mr Gary Good

Gary in one of his famous Gangsta-postures by the snooker-table at his house.
Tired Kloofers watching the Clovelly golf courseTired Kloofers watching the Clovelly golf course
Tired Kloofers watching the Clovelly golf course

Beneath the Clovelly mountains, to the east lies a soft green holf course, and further west are three big dunes, perfect for sandboarding, fake-desert-photo-shoots or for just shuffling around in the heavy sand getting tired.
Silver Mine River MouthSilver Mine River Mouth
Silver Mine River Mouth

The sandy beach on the picture gets flooded after heavy rain, as the Silver Mine River runs down the mountain and meets the Indian Ocean at the very northern part of the Fish Hoek beach.
Fake-cotton-hedgehog-style-sunflowersFake-cotton-hedgehog-style-sunflowers
Fake-cotton-hedgehog-style-sunflowers

There's probably a far better name for these flowers, but then again, there's far better botanists than me, too.
Cape Town MetrorailCape Town Metrorail
Cape Town Metrorail

Pulling out from the Fish Hoek station for another scenic ride along the False Bay coastline bach into the Mother City's Centre. The Clovelly station (now closed) was known as the closest station to the sea, in the world.
Fortunetellers Funny FiguresFortunetellers Funny Figures
Fortunetellers Funny Figures

Paraphernalia in a fortuneteller's abode.
Crystal clearCrystal clear
Crystal clear

More glowing crystals, from the depths of the secret caves in the Silver Mine Nature Reserve.


13th June 2007

Quick tic abt the Pic.
The Panorama pic right at the top is amazing. What cam was it? Or did u use any correction software?

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.038s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb