Won't you take me to... Monkeytown?


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
June 4th 2007
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Capetown Capetown Capetown

As seen from the top of Table Mountain.
We arrived safely in Cape Town on Saturday afternoon and met Rob's Uncle Doug and his cousin Aiden... We were immediately whisked up Table Mountain (to take advantage of the unseasonally beautiful weather). All I have to say is WOW. The view is absolutely unbelievable. Unfortunately, they have dial up here, so uploading pictures is not really feasible... After our trip to Table Moutain, Doug and Fiona (his wife) took us around town and to the water front where we had a great dinner of fish and chips... The water front was gorgeous... filled with little shops and outdoor restaurants.

Yesterday, we went to Hermanus - apparently one of the only places in the world where you can watch whales from the land because the land drops off immediately and the water is all 'deep sea'. Unfortunately, whale season doesn't start until July, so we didn't see any in the water, but the weather was gorgeous and we walked along the beach (I was so hot... the South Africans think us Canadians are crazy for loving their 'winter' weather!).

Cape Town is located in the valley around a chain of beautiful moutains... there is lots of agriculture in
Table MoutainTable MoutainTable Moutain

Rob and I.
the area and I feel much safer here than I did in Johannesburg. It is also know for its Cape Dutch architecture - hard to explain in words, but very unique.

On the way home from Hermanus, we stopped at 'Monkey Town'... Doug and Fiona had never been there before, but when they heard we'd never seen monkeys before, they insisted that we go... It was so much fun! There were 27 species of monkey available, as well as birds and antelope. It was sort of a reverse zoo, where we were the ones walking in the cages, with the animals running free around us.

We also drove through the beach areas... they feel very much like California and the sand is so fine and very white. They claim the water is too cold to swim, but I didn't think it was that cold!

Today we drove the other way up the coast through a bunch of fishing towns, finally ending up at Boulders... a PENGUIN colony!! I think penguins may be my favourite animal... they are so funny to watch! We also visited Groot Constantia which is an Upper Canada Village type place showing the Cape
The beachThe beachThe beach

No one was swimming because the water was too cold (though I question their definition of cold!).
Dutch architecture. It was quite damp and rainy, but not too cold out... the mist surrounding the moutains was gorgeous.

Tomorrow, Rob and I are driving to Stellenbosch for the day and then up to Paarl where we are staying in a B&B... Doug and Fiona are lending us their car (which should be exciting... driving on the other side!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

HermanusHermanus
Hermanus

This is an old fishing town... you can see the area behind us where they used to gut and prepare all the large fish they caught.
HermanusHermanus
Hermanus

These plants are called 'torch plants' (I think) because they look like they have a flame on the top!
MonkeytownMonkeytown
Monkeytown

Doug contemplating a distant relative...
BouldersBoulders
Boulders

Awww.. they're kissing!
Groot ConstantiaGroot Constantia
Groot Constantia

Typical Cape Dutch architecture.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0791s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb