Cape Town here we come


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
March 1st 2007
Published: March 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Up we goUp we goUp we go

It takes about 3 minutes to reach the top
After finally spending some time with my cousins in Durban (Thank you Heidi and Chris for your relaxed hospitality we can’t wait to see you again in April) we left for Cape Town on the 1st of March. Cape Town reminds me of Melbourne back home - it's very hip and has many cafes and good drinking spots where all the young people go.

We attempted to get to Roben Island on the Friday to see where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for the majority of his term, but unfortunately the ferry was booked out. People make sure you book in advance! As the weather was fine we shot up Table Mountain in the cable car. (Up, up, up…dad you would have loved it!) Neetz’s knee is still recovering so walking wasn’t an option even though it would only have been a 2 hour climb to the top. Also it’s better to do the climb in the morning because the weather can change very quickly and it can be dangerous finding the way down.

After hanging around in Cape Town for a couple of days due to some poor weather (and sinking a lot of beer and wine while playing
cable carcable carcable car

coming down
pool) we decided to make our way down to Simons Town.

Our first mistake of our trip happened when we checked into a backpacker place in Muizenberg. I won’t identify the place for deformation reasons but a good idea for anyone thinking of going to Muizenberg is to think again. We walked in and the place looked a bit run down but the rates for camping were cheap but comparable to other places we had stayed at and we only wanted to stay one night so we weren’t to fussed.

We pitched our tent in the only available spot and didn’t know but the local next to us was a heroin dealer. At 2:30 am Neetz and I woke up to arguing and yelling about how people were getting rip off drug deals, it continued later on throughout the night. Not a good nights sleep, so first thing in the morning (whilst everyone was still passed out) we caught the train to Simon’s Town.

Simon’s Town is a little town known for its Navy Base and Penguin Colony at Boulders Beach. It was a little windy but otherwise a beautiful town to visit. We even had a chat to the local penguins!

After Simon’s Town we headed back to Cape Town for the night, then off to Stellenbosch - wine country!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

so cuteso cute
so cute

the younger ones are brown


16th March 2007

Dad's Prezzie
Received his prezzie this week - loves it and it has gone "straight to the pool room." Miss you. Mum :(

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb