South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
December 1st 2006
Published: March 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So we've made it to the bottom of the world! Well, not really, but the bottom of Africa anyway... I think that's an accomplishment!

First stop was Cape Town, where we got real lazy and sat on our bums for a week, only to get up for the compulsary Table Mountain hike, and the Robben Island tour, where Mandela spent many years behind bars. Cape Town was also the place where we caught up with a couple of "locos" from Brazil, and there Ozzie counterpart, Bek. Our next few weeks were shared with these guys, and Katrina from the States, cruising the country in the CrazyMobile.

First thing on the agenda was to get our feet wet. Not in your average pool or local beach though, but in the Great White Shark infested waters of Gansbaai!. Within 15 minutes of being on the boat, we had our first Great White. And first up in the water out of our group was Chris, Anto, Claudio and Fernando. Scared? Of course not! In the end, the water was more of a shock than the sharks as it was soooooo bloody cold! But the sharks were cool to see, especially when they
Bar on famous Long StreetBar on famous Long StreetBar on famous Long Street

CAPE TOWN- SOUTH AFRICA
charged the rubber seal cutouts they were using as lures.

Cape L'agulhas was the next stop,where we all got our customary 'I'm at the most Southern tip of Africa' photo. It was nice, but the water was even colder, and we were sure there were more sharks lurking out there, so we decided not to swim on to Antartica.

So we cruised up the coast some more, exploring caves along the way, checking out the chilled J-Bay. Chris ate a lovely meat pie which kept him on the toilet for the next 24 hours. Then the real unfortunate happened... The CrazyMobile died outside of Port Elizabeth. Thankfully we had girls with us, as we used them to get the attention of some guys in a car. Once they pulled over, it was hard for them to refuse to tow us into town. So after spending a few days in PE, waiting for a synopsis from the mechanic, we finally got the news, and unfortunately it wasn't good. The CrazyMobile needed a new motor. We couldn't afford to wait with the rest of the crew, so we had to say our goodbye's and head off.

The next few
View from Top of Table MountainView from Top of Table MountainView from Top of Table Mountain

CAPE TOWN- SOUTH AFRICA
days were quite a rush. We headed straight for Durban, then to the beautiful St. Lucia, where hippo's freely roam the streets at night! Then it was a quick day trip through the ever so green Swaziland, only to stop for a quick feed of KFC, then a frantic drive through the mountains on a gravel road to the border after realising they the border closes at 4pm. We made it right on the mark, but the South African immigrations officer wasn't happy as he had to leave work a few minutes late because of us. Then to Nelspruit. We were supposed to get our Mozambiquan visa here as they are heaps cheaper than anywhere else, but, just our luck, the day before we arrived they closed for Christmas holidays... WTF?!? What sort of embassy closes for Christmas?? For them, this is the busiest time of the year, with everyone taking holidays and all... but then again, this is Africa. Things don't always make sense here.

So we spent a night in Nelspruit and headed for Mozambique the next day... Yay!




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

WaterfrontWaterfront
Waterfront

CAPE TOWN - SOUTH AFRICA
At the beach... At the beach...
At the beach...

CAPE OF GOOD HOPE - SOUTH AFRICA
chasing the Pinguins!!!chasing the Pinguins!!!
chasing the Pinguins!!!

CAPE OF GOOD HOPE - SOUTH AFRICA
enjoying the wind on the rocksenjoying the wind on the rocks
enjoying the wind on the rocks

CAPE L'AGULHAS - SOUTH AFRICA
A gorgeos OwlA gorgeos Owl
A gorgeos Owl

GARDEN ROUTE - SOUTH AFRICA


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb