Boulders Beach Bound


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Boulders Beach
April 22nd 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Taking the road out from Cape Town to Muizenberg and then following signs for Simon’s Town. the other one cranked the motor up to 100+ km an hour (on Mahe the fastest road is 80km and anyway our car starts shaking over 60). One rule of the road it seems is to move over into the hard shoulder if people want to overtake on single lane roads, a flash of their hazards signalling thanks; no Seychellois honking here.

We passed through seaside towns reminiscent of the English seaside I thought, all stoically coastal in their identity, not trendy but chipper and bright though not quite able to stave off the lingering melancholy that winter brings. Kalk Bay, looked a bit more funky but still more Hastings than Brighton but then we were only driving through.

Though not intended, we stopped in Simon’s Town- I needed the toilet : ) . The place is a naval base but tourists likely know it as being close to Boulders Beach and for the one hour train journey from Cape Town, where in places the train barely clings to the coast with jaw dropping views to the ocean. The town again appeared seaside stereotypical, ambling past the antique shops, coffee shops and estate agents we concluded that we weren’t probably of that age yet to really enjoy its sedate and charmning pleasures. Mind you, as a naval base there must be some raucousness somewhere surely?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb