Elephants in the morning


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » North West » Zeerust » Madikwe Game Reserve
November 18th 2008
Published: December 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last night’s rain leads to a colorful sunrise this morning. Because of the muddy conditions, Jaco is limited to driving the Land Rover on the main roads. A giraffe stops her breakfast to take a look at us as we hurry by.

We’re on the hunt for elephants today. And, we find a herd of them, tinged red from their mud bath. Jaco stops the vehicle so that we can observe the mamas and babies crossing the road. One of the younger elephants is still working on his coordination as he trips in front of us.

The Land Rover creeps quietly by. Jaco doesn’t want to give the herd a reason to charge us. Finally, we’re able to drive past them only to discover a bull elephant around the corner. He’s in musk, which means his behavior can be unpredictable and dangerous. Luckily for us, he’s more interested in finding a willing girl elephant than intimidating the humans riding in a green Land Rover .

Jaco is delighted when we pass a herd of impala that are protecting the first newborn of the season. “That made my day,” he says. Born only yesterday, the baby impala wobbles beside his mother.

When we stop for coffee and amarula, a brown hyena walks down the road towards us, a rare sighting. We’re ready to jump back in the vehicle until Jaco assures us that we’re safe.

Storm clouds brew as we ride along the airstrip, for a closer look at the ostrich walking nearby. Soon, our 3-hour game drive is over. It’s time for another breakfast on the deck . And, a nap.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.269s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.2102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb