Warthog up a Tree


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga
November 23rd 2010
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Bird01 Bird01 Bird

A large bird in the water.
Geo: -24.3667, 31.9

This morning we had a sleep in and didn't go for an early morning drive. Instead we had breakfast and packed up. We checked out at about half past 8. Soon after leaving the rest camp, the sightings began.

We watched a hippo walking among the reeds by the river and then went into the water to join the other hippos. We drove directly to the lookout point at the river. This seems to be the place to see elephants. At first we couldn't see any animals. Then we spotted a couple of impalas and a couple of hippos in the river. A few minutes later the elephant sightings began.

A small breeding herd appeared to our left. They drank water for a little while. Then to our right three hippos were walking along in the shallow water away from us. Slowly the herd entered the water. At the same time the hippos had come out of the water and were walking and eating grass on a little island. The herd was now in the middle of the river. With the younger elephants just their backs were visible; the rest of their body was submerged. The elephants were crossing
02 Hippo02 Hippo02 Hippo

A hippo walking beside the river.
the river in a line, as always led by the matriarch.

Looking back at the hippos they were now back in the water, also walking in a line. We now noticed that there were 4 hippos. Most of the herd had now left the river and were walking through the bush. Further along up the river a couple more herds appeared at the river's edge drinking water. These herds drank some water and then slowly swam across the river. It was a lovely sight – elephants all along the river either drinking or swimming. Another hippo also emerged from the water and went for a little walk.

We had now been here for an hour and time just flew! Back in the car on the main road we had to stop to allow a couple of large adults to cross in front of us. They were on their way to the river.

Soon after, we stopped to watch a troop of baboons that were just sitting around. We then stopped at a small artificial waterhole. Here there were zebras, giraffes and impalas. The most amusing sight is watching giraffes drink. It is quite a process and takes a while. They slowly
03 In the Water03 In the Water03 In the Water

A couple of hippos floating about in the river.
spread their legs, drink a bit and then quickly stand up and then repeat again. They are at their most vulnerable from predators when drinking. There were also two giraffe here that seemed in sync, at the same time they drank and stood up.

Later on we saw a couple of waterbuck, this was a nice sighting as the herd was just by the road and very close to us. We saw more giraffe and zebra.

The next hour or so was very quiet and nothing interesting at all was seen. Then we spotted a couple of lions resting near a dry river bed. We could see a couple of lionesses and then a male appeared. It is great to come across these kinds of sightings.

We arrived at Satara Rest Camp at about 2:30. For the next few nights we were camping here. After checking in we had a wander around the shop and restaurant area. A small crowd had gathered at the fence. There was a relaxed bull elephant standing on the other side. He was eating grass that was growing next to the fence. I was just a metre or two away from it. It was pretty exciting!
04 View04 View04 View

A view of the scenic river.


Once the tent was set-up we had a little bit of time to relax. This afternoon we left late for our afternoon game drive. It was after 5 when we left camp, which only gave us about an hour before the gates would close.

We had a plan – to drive directly to where we saw the dead warthog up a tree. Our hope was that the leopard would have returned and be eating his prey. As we approached the area, we could see about 30 cars parked by the road, this must mean that the leopard was here! It was a Kruger traffic jam.

Looking through the binoculars we could see the leopard. We slowly drove closer. It was so nice to finally have a good sighting of a leopard. It was standing and also sitting as it ate. Such a beautiful patterned fur. Paul then decided to drive past the tree. He drove very slowly as I took photos. The leopard's stomach was looking full. It then started to descend the tree and in a jump or two it was on the ground. The leopard ran off into the bush – am so glad we got to see it!
05 Other Side05 Other Side05 Other Side

A view of the other side of the river.
We then noticed a hyena at the base of the tree. It must have been able to smell the kill. Unfortunately for the hyena it can't climb and the warthog would be waiting for the leopard to return.

It was now time to turn around and race back to camp before the gates close.


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

06 Drinking06 Drinking
06 Drinking

A small herd of elephants drinking from the river.
07 Hippos07 Hippos
07 Hippos

A couple of hippos about to re-enter the river.
08 Crossing08 Crossing
08 Crossing

A herd of elephants crossing the river.
09 Crossing09 Crossing
09 Crossing

The herd making their way across the river.
10 Hippos10 Hippos
10 Hippos

Four hippos walking in the river.
11 Herds Crossing11 Herds Crossing
11 Herds Crossing

More elephant herds crossing the river.
12 Crossing12 Crossing
12 Crossing

Many herds crossing the river.
13 Herds Everywhere13 Herds Everywhere
13 Herds Everywhere

All along the river there were herds crossing it.
14 In the River14 In the River
14 In the River

One of the herds in the river.
15 Along the Path15 Along the Path
15 Along the Path

An elephant walking along the game path.
16 Sitting About16 Sitting About
16 Sitting About

A couple of baboons sitting about.
17 Male17 Male
17 Male

A male baboon sitting on a rock.
18 Drinking18 Drinking
18 Drinking

A giraffe drinking from a small man made waterhole.
19 Drinking19 Drinking
19 Drinking

A giraffe drinking from a small man made waterhole.
20 Drinking20 Drinking
20 Drinking

Three impalas drinking from the water.
21 Drinking21 Drinking
21 Drinking

A couple of impalas drinking from the muddy waterhole.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb