Thornybush game reserve elephant encounter


Advertisement
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The most memorable experience was our encounter with elephants! We stopped the jeep a safe distance away from the herd who were enjoying the high green leaves from a tree. The first female and youngster passed our vehicle watching us out of the corner of their eyes -it was amazing to see these huge, magnificant mammals wandering passed so closely. The second female was not content with only walking passed - she stopped a matter of metres away and starred at us - she wasn't showing any agressive behaviours but was interested in who or what we were. She kept approaching - Neil and I mouthed OMG at each other as the guide warned us to stay still and not to move. Neil put the video camera down and we all held our breath and waited to see what the elephant would do next - vulnerable to her sheer size and strength. The german lady behind Neil was terrified as the elephant seemed to be looking at her more - she sunk further and further into her husband until he almost had her in a headlock! She lifted her trunk and holding it a metre away sniffed at us - Olaf began talking to her in a soothing voice 'you beautiful girl - it's ok we mean you no harm - you go on your way now you beautiful girl' the elephant seemed to visibly relax, she turned to walk away and as we all exhaled she turned back to look at us once again before joining her family with a low soft rumble.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb