Photos we couldn't upload


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Siyabuswa
July 24th 2015
Published: July 24th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Talk ShowThe Talk ShowThe Talk Show

We shared our slideshow, listened to a presentation from two Grace learners and spent a fascinating hour learning from each other in small groups.
A few technical issues have dogged our last 36 hours. First one of our buses wouldn't start. We had to jump start it but at the end of school it happened again so we called our hire company and they came out with a replacement. They had difficulty locating us as there are no street names, their calls couldn't get through and we had a power cut in the evening. Finally they arrived as we were about to go to bed! That was a relief, but when we went back to the bus at the end of school today, it had a flat tyre! We've never had a single problem with a hired bus before so to get two in two days is most unusual. So was today's weather--we have had cloud and rain, the first to fall here this year we were told. This didn't help us get the Christmas Cottage bathroom mat dry as we left it out overnight!

We spent today with the Grace juniors. There have also been some home visits to sponsored children, or would-be ones, and these have shown our children the reality of poverty. We have spent time each evening talking through the day's experiences and this helps us keep things in perspective', with the balance of how much we are helping them and their school. Rosa found herself visiting the home of the girl who had marked her in the netball match. She had had no idea, as they became friends, what she was coming to school from and going home to each night. There are tragic stories around but there is also so much joy and energy, as well as potential in these Grace children.

The bus is fine now, we have power and I am hoping after this to upload some photos which we have not been able to do over the last 24 hours. Tomorrow we are planning to visit an Ndebele village tomorrow to learn more about their culture and history. The children are enjoying some games indoors and outside in the yard, in good spirits, and we are all enjoying each other's company. They are a good team and they care for each other as well as for the children they are befriending at Grace. In fact they enjoy time together so much that they seem to have had less interest in blogging than previous teams have--apologies if parents assumed they would have had a message by now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

After school clubAfter school club
After school club

This proved very popular with seniors, who enjoyed the chance of getting creative!


24th July 2015

Boys night in...
Nathan...Man up! jeez
25th July 2015

Boys night in
Nathan: That's fine--I'll let her have this ''victory''!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb