Amazing Grace


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Siyabuswa
July 22nd 2015
Published: July 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

We have just concluded our evening meeting, basically a beginner's Ndebele lesson (sorry, Louise, but we don't understand what you wrote!) after a fascinating discussion about the day's experiences. The children shared their views reflectively--what struck them, touched them, made them sad or happy, seemed different or unexpectedly similar--and now there is a happy hubbub in Chtistmas Cottage as the children enjoy an end of day game of cards--one group playing canasta and the other mao (if that is how you spell it--Nathan thinks it isn't mow, anyway). Some nuts (unsalted) and raisins (salted!) and pieces of chocolate contribute to a very cheerful atmosphere, and we have more tea drinkers than I had expected, so I had to get more teabags. Some of us boys did a quick shop in the new mall when we got home, and mostly we did well despite getting the wrong colour shoe polish.

The day was very full, and included two matches between our schools, the first in netball and the second, tug of war (using the rope we brought here years ago!). In netball our girls faced 16 and 17 year olds, and raced into a 3-0 lead but the Grace girls gradually fought back to level. It was 10-all when we began to tire in the tropical heat during a period of added-on time. As soon as Grace scored number 11 the final whistle blew! Similarly, we were one end each in the tug but lost the final, though it seemed one or two extras joined in for the Grace (so Mr Mabbett lent his weight to our team, but in vain!)

We had a lie-in till 6.30 today as some were tired (though malicious rumours of the boys staying awake all night on the flight are unfounded, Rob did do something of a filmathon).

On arrival, Mrs Ntuli and Dr Mahlangu gave us a tour of the school and we saw what a difference our giving has made--a tremendous amount since 2013! This included even a solar panel which now provides free electricity for the girl boarders' hot water. They were proud to show us trophies won as the most improved school in the region in 2014, based on matric results. We were sung to by reception children and greeted by a series of rather embarrassed children put on the spot. After a tea break and questions, we split up into three groups to observe and help in lessons with intermediates (roughly Years 5-6). The English lesson was in the end actually taken by Mrs Davis, who loved it as much as the African children said they did. The science included a memorable spot from Mr Mabbett on energy, enthused with plenty of his own kind--teacher energy! The maths was by contrast a dull, slow moving lesson controlled minutely by a teacher, with no child daring even to ask a question.

During the Grace lunch hour our team had great fun mixing and playing with Grace children, especially those in the Junior Phase, as it is called. They sang, danced and used skipping ropes we had brought. The older children (in their teens) seemed less interested in us but tomorrow we are due to meet them for a 'Talk Show' in which we are to learn from each other about our respective countries and cultures. Ours will begin with a slideshow we have made about life in Britain, and at St. Andrew's.

After lunch, in which I chatted to a school inspector who said she was impressed by The Grace, we changed into kit for the sports. The boys wanted to play rugby but soon found the hard, sharp sand a difficult pitch to play on, and before long switched to football, by this time nursing some cuts which required treatment from Mrs Reeves, who declared them off running games but allowed them to take part in the tug. This was a magnificent team effort, with Charlie organising synchronised tugs which helped us win the second leg. It was all very noisy and a lot of fun.

Then we sorted out the gifts and resources we had brought, and some boys visited the boy boarders' hostel.

Tomorrow there will be no lie in so we are going to bed now, or already there!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb