Australia v's Serbia


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Nelspruit
July 6th 2010
Published: August 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday (23/6/2010)
Game Day Australia V’s Serbia , our last chance to make it through to Round of 16, dependant on the outcome of the Germany v’s Ghana game butas optimistic as we were we knew it was highly unlikely. We set off on a day trip to Blyde River Canyon with Jac and Tony. We drove through some stunning scenery arriving at the Pinnacle lookout first, next we took the 300 steps to the famous ‘Gods window’ and ‘Wonder view’ with amazing views over the Blyde River Reserve. We stopped at Lisbon falls for lunch and browsed the curio markets. Our next stop ‘Bourkes Luck Potholes’ at the foot of the Canyon with a crisscross of bridges, water falls and potholes (hence the name).

Unsure how long /complicated it was going to be to get to the game we left missing the three rondavels (the main part of the canyon.. opps). We made it back to the backpackers for a quick change (an extra five layers) and caught the last few minutes of the English draw and USA’s last minute score. We joined Tony and Jac to the park and ride, by far the most organized we had experienced. We boarded the bus in an orderly fashion and were dropped just meters from the gate of the Nelspuit Stadium. The stadium looked magnificent at night its orange giraffe structure lit up around the outside of the ground. We passed through security and made our way to our seats, once again on the corner, first tear about 15 rows back. We siddled up to our African neighbours and quickly made them Australian supporters wrapping them in our spare headband, and their friends nearby borrowed our flag. After a pre game beer and pie it was kick off time! Australia looked ordinary and we were lucky to go into half time 0-0. Australia came out in the second half firing, kicking the first goal and once again the crowd erupted. The celebrations continued long after the game had recommenced and before long Australia scored again!! Serbia finished with a goal after a goalie stuff up but an exciting final score Australia 2 Serbia 1….However neither Australia or Serbia would be going any further.. the dream was over. We watched the stadium clear out and the dejected Aussies mope up the stairs most of who would now be on their way home. We met up with Jac and Tony with a stop off at Macca’s before returning to the backpackers for a beer with Dan and Joel.

Thursday
Feeling the post game hangover, Australia was out of the world cup and now we needed to find out where our tickets would take us next. A quick stop at the internet café confirmed we had tickets to the England v’s Germany game in Bloemfontain and a quarterfinal in Capetown. The best outcome we could have anticipated given Australia hadn’t made it. We scored a couple cheap flights to Capetown, sorted some camping in Bloemfontain and checked in at home. Next stop the laudromatte followed by lunch at the News Café a classy café with huge tv’s and awesome burgers and smoothies. Feeling revived we drove and collected our tickets from the Grove shopping centre remarkably hassle free.
We returned to the backpackers to watch Italy crash out of the world cup, caught up with the Wicked Van guys we met in Joburg and whipped up some mediaterrain pasta for tea.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb