A Game Drive in the Reserve


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo
October 19th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Giraffe01 Giraffe01 Giraffe

A pair of giraffe that we saw on the game drive.
Geo: -24.1505, 30.956

We were up quite early this morning, as we were being taken for a game drive by the lodge owners. We left just after 7am. Soon we stopped to watch a couple of giraffe, saw some antelopes (kudus, impalas, waterbucks and a grey duiker) and then had to stop and wait for a large herd of about 150 buffaloes to cross the track. There were quite a few young buffaloes in this herd and they were just a few metres from the vehicle. The buffaloes were slowly moving through the bush. Once they were off the track, we slowly drove away. Just before we got back to the lodge we saw a male kudu.

On our game drive we did not see any other vehicles, which made us feel like we had the place to ourselves. It was a short game drive, just to give us idea of the reserve and there aren't that many tracks that we were allowed to drive along.

After we all had breakfast, the owners of the lodge left to go back home to Pretoria. Paul and I were staying for another three nights. We spent the rest of the day relaxing around the lodge
03 Buffalo03 Buffalo03 Buffalo

Some of the buffaloes from the large herd.
and enjoying the amazing scenery and animal sightings.

In the morning I spotted a female Klipspringer that was on the other side of the river. Soon after half a dozen warthogs slowly walked across the front lawn as they ate grass. Maybe they are the reason that the grass is so short. They stayed for about half an hour and then suddenly ran off with their tails straight up in the air - such a funny sight!

After lunch we heard and then saw a troop of Vervet Monkeys. I went closer to them to take a few photos. As I walked closer to them I was very aware of my surroundings and cautious - as it is a Big 5 reserve and I didn't want to encounter any dangerous animals. Although the monkeys would have warned each other if there were any predators nearby. The monkeys were just sitting around and not bothered by my close presence. They didn't stay long and then ran off into the bush. I then went back to sitting under the large tree.

It was quite hard for me to concentrate on reading when I am in the middle of an unfenced Big 5
05 Young One05 Young One05 Young One

One of the young buffaloes.
area, as anything could appear all of a sudden. Soon after, I noticed a couple of waterbuck on the other side of the river. They were heading towards the water, possibly for a drink. Then the warthogs reappeared on the lawn near me. For a few minutes they ate grass and dug into the ground with their tusks looking for roots, before they were off again with their tails straight up into the air.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the river, more animals had appeared. This time it was a herd of kudus. The kudus and waterbucks were slowly walking towards each other. The waterbucks seemed very cautious as they walked along the edge of the river. The two herds of antelopes passed each other with hardly any acknowledgement of the other herd.

Looking around from my chair I noticed that the warthogs were back again! They were busy eating grass. Nearby there was also a female bushbuck. After a few minutes of reading, I looked up and noticed that a lonely impala was on the other side of the river. Scanning the surrounding bush I realised that the rest of the impala herd was close by.

After such
07 Looking at Us07 Looking at Us07 Looking at Us

One of the buffaloes looking at us.
an early start this morning, I was feeling a bit tired so I went and had a little nap. After my nap it was time for us to have a cold drink. We sat outside on the lawn and enjoyed the serenity. The female bushbuck from earlier this afternoon was still around the lodge, or maybe it was a different bushbuck.

Then a different female bushbuck walked along the river in front of us. Right behind her was a male bushbuck. I don't think they realised that we were sitting there watching them, as they both stood still and stared at us. Once they realised that we weren't a threat, they continued slowly walking along the river.

Paul left to go for a little walk along the river and I went to the kitchen to get some snacks. When I came out I noticed a herd of impalas on the other side of the river, which were busy grazing. I couldn't see Paul. I sat down and started to enjoy the beautiful sunset.

I then noticed in the far distance, the shape of a large cat – either a lion or a leopard. I called out for Paul in a
08 Blockage08 Blockage08 Blockage

Part of the herd blocking the track.
loud whisper, because I still couldn't see him. The cat was on our side of the river, maybe about 100 metres further along the river. There wasn't time to grab the binoculars. Paul then appeared, he had come from the direction of the cat – which we identified as a lioness.

We watched the lioness as she slowly crossed the river. It was an amazing sight to see her silhouette as she walked across. I was surprised as I'd expected the water to be deeper. Then events got very exciting. Just before the lioness reached the bank on the other side – a crocodile started snapping its jaws at her. She was jumping and splashing all over the place. This attack happened so quickly that there was no time to take photos. The lioness must not have realised that she was walking right into a crocodile.

Luckily for her, the crocodile didn't get a good enough grip to bring her down. We watched the lioness as she hobbled along the other side of the river. The crocodile must have bitten her. She walked along the river and then off into the bush. That was pretty exciting! Looking closer at the
09 Kudu09 Kudu09 Kudu

A male kudu.
photos later on, we realised that she seemed to be wounded on her left back leg – but it didn't look like it had been caused by a crocodile.

We then lit the barbecue, relaxed under the lapa and chatted about the day's sightings in this great location.



Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

10 Small Antelope10 Small Antelope
10 Small Antelope

A small, female Klipspringer on the other side of the river.
11 Lawn Mowers11 Lawn Mowers
11 Lawn Mowers

Two of the visiting warthogs as they ate grass.
12 View12 View
12 View

The view of the river and warthog as I relaxed on the lawn.
13 Tails Up13 Tails Up
13 Tails Up

The warthogs got scared and ran away with their tails straight up in the air.
14 Cheeky14 Cheeky
14 Cheeky

Some of the cheeky monkeys that came by the lodge.
15 Monkey15 Monkey
15 Monkey

This monkey is about to jump up on a branch.
17 Cute17 Cute
17 Cute

One of the cute monkeys.
19 Waterbuck19 Waterbuck
19 Waterbuck

Part of the waterbuck herd that appeared on the other side of the river.
20 Waterbuck20 Waterbuck
20 Waterbuck

More of the waterbuck herd.
21 Digging21 Digging
21 Digging

Two warthogs digging with their tusks as they look for food.
23 Warthogs23 Warthogs
23 Warthogs

Two of the local visiting warthogs.
24 Leaving24 Leaving
24 Leaving

The warthogs then left the lodge area.
25 Kudus25 Kudus
25 Kudus

A herd of kudus on the other side of the river.
27 Waterbuck27 Waterbuck
27 Waterbuck

The waterbuck on the other side of the river.
29 Cautious29 Cautious
29 Cautious

The waterbuck seem cautious at the water's edge.


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb