Seeing a Huge Herd of Buffalo


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo
November 17th 2010
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Sunrise01 Sunrise01 Sunrise

The beautiful view that we enjoyed early this morning.
Geo: -23.0026, 31.3426

This morning once again we left the campsite as soon as the gate opened. We saw a beautiful sunrise with shades of blue, pink and purple. The first interesting sighting we saw was a Southern Ground Hornbill. It is a large bird with black feathers and a large red thing on its face. We didn't see much else on our short morning drive.

We drove back to camp to eat breakfast and pack up. Just after 9am we left Punda Maria and drove south. We drove past many dried up rivers. On our drive we saw- a male nyala, vervet monkeys, a baby impala drinking milk from its mother, hippos floating in a river, tree squirrel and a dagga boy (old male buffalo). It was now around midday and we had arrived at Shingwedzi Rest Camp. At the restaurant we enjoyed a cold drink and a snack. There were weaver nests all around the rest camp which gave us a chance to photograph them close up.

After our rest we continued driving south towards Mopani Rest Camp. Our afternoon sightings included female bushbuck, waterbuck with their distinctive white ring around their bottom, dung bettles – the female hitching a
02 Sunrise02 Sunrise02 Sunrise

The beautiful view that we enjoyed early this morning.
ride on a dung ball that is being rolled around by the male, crocodiles, bachelor herd of impalas, a couple of elephants that seemed so huge when you are sitting in a small car and a couple of dagga boys that stared at us. We parked the car at a small hide which over looked a river.

From the hide we saw many crocodiles lying on the river's edge. Using the binoculars we scanned the area and identified some birds. Then it got exciting, across the river a couple of buffalo appeared. They walked straight to the river's edge to drink. More and more buffalo appeared from between the Mopane Trees. It was a huge herd. They had to spread out along the river so that they could all drink. And just to think, if we had left earlier, we would have missed this! I think that there were about 200 buffalo.

Paul drove us up a view point. From up here we had a great view of the vast surroundings. We stopped at another hide which overlooked a small river. From here we saw one big fat crocodile and at least three hippos floating about.

From this hide it was a
03 Sunrise03 Sunrise03 Sunrise

The beautiful view that we enjoyed early this morning.
short drive to Mopani Rest Camp. For the next two nights we were staying in a chalet – a nice change from camping! Our chalet was nice and spacious with the kitchen outside. We enjoyed a barbecue dinner and had an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

04 Ants04 Ants
04 Ants

A line of ants.
05 Large Bird05 Large Bird
05 Large Bird

A Southern Ground Hornbill - a very large bird!
06 Scenery06 Scenery
06 Scenery

The scenery in this part of the park.
07 Dry River07 Dry River
07 Dry River

One of the many dry river beds that we saw.
08 Little Waterhole08 Little Waterhole
08 Little Waterhole

A little waterhole.
09 Nyala09 Nyala
09 Nyala

A male nyala behind the bushes.
10 Dry River 10 Dry River
10 Dry River

A large tree on the bank of a dry river.
11 Monkey11 Monkey
11 Monkey

A Vervet Monkey sitting at the top of this tree.
12 Mother & Young12 Mother & Young
12 Mother & Young

A mother impala and her young one.
13 Bright Blue13 Bright Blue
13 Bright Blue

A bright blue Woodland Kingfisher.
14 Water14 Water
14 Water

Another little bit of water.
15 Hiding15 Hiding
15 Hiding

A couple of hippos hiding near the rocks.
16 Hornbills16 Hornbills
16 Hornbills

A pair of Yellow Hornbills in the tree.
17 Squirrel17 Squirrel
17 Squirrel

A tree squirrel looking at us.
18 Portrait18 Portrait
18 Portrait

A portrait photo of an impala.
19 Lonely19 Lonely
19 Lonely

A lonely old buffalo.
20 Herd20 Herd
20 Herd

A herd of impalas.
21 Me21 Me
21 Me

A herd of impalas outside my window.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb