Weekend in Sibasa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Limpopo
October 30th 2012
Published: October 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I’ve been following all of the news about Hurricane Sandy … WOW! It seems to have packed a punch for most everyone in the eastern U.S. Be safe and watch out for your neighbors! Snow in the mountains of West Virginia while it is 80 ° and sunny here!

Anyway, here’s my latest news …

The suburb north of Thohoyandou, Sibasa, is a rapidly growing town where I'm living in a neighborhood that people still refer to as the ‘white area’. I was confused about this description, having never seen another white face during my short stay in this place. It turns out that it used to be a white neighborhood during the apartheid era.

Long story short … Venda is a former homeland or Bantustan in South Africa where blacks were relocated as part of the national segregation efforts. As an ‘independent’ country (recognized only by South Africa), they had a South African embassy and houses for whites in this neighborhood. I found it just up the road from our house – a large compound with a high fence surrounding the buildings inside. Just one more remnant of the apartheid regime that lives on in people’s memories.
ShopRite storeShopRite storeShopRite store

shopping in Sibasa ... maize meal


Errands and laundry on the agenda for Saturday – lots of dirty clothes to wash, grocery shopping, and errands to run. Again, many lessons in these everyday activities. The washing was more labor-intensive than back home (see machine) and I took advantage of the African sun to dry my clothes. Grocery shopping was another adventure as I was the only American in the place, but I’m getting used to this situation of being an ‘outsider.’ And finally a fill-up at the local gas station opened my eyes to the high gas prices in this country – 1.2 rand for 1 liter … @ 8 rand per dollar, this is about $6 per gallon. This explains why so many people walk, take taxis, and drive rundown jalopies here.

Finally, I took in some local scenery in the afternoon with a colleague from the university and her family (sister, nieces, daughters, sons, etc). Nandoni Dam was built 5 years ago to provide irrigation and drinking water for the area. It was quite big (see photo) and we had a great time picnicing and frolicking by the lake. No swimming, but we waded in the water to cool off a bit.

And now it’s Monday. Back to work … Love you all, Ann


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb