St lucia


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Crocs in St. LuciaCrocs in St. LuciaCrocs in St. Lucia

Crocs lurking on the river bank
St Lucia
We left Swaziland for St. Lucia and made sure we stuck to the main roads, although we had a much busier border crossing with big queues. St. Lucia town is a little strip of restaurants, shops and hotels. We checked into our flat and met Debbie the crazy dog lover who works in the Stokkiesdraai office. We opened our apartment to find it could sleep 6 and had a lovely view of the wetlands. Debbie warned us not to venture too far down our garden in the evening, just in case we bumped into any crocs or hippos lurking at the waters edge. Apparently a hippo had been seen wandering around the gardens recently - and these creatures are real killers in Africa. We walked down to the beach, which turned out to be a longer trek than we had anticipated. It was nice to watch the sunset over the Indian Ocean, as the waves rolled into the beach.

Nightlife
We went to the pub with the thatched roof as recommended by Si from his previous holiday. We sampled a few different beers and even had a pint of Boddingtons. Jase got a few shooters in and we
Hippo in St. LuciaHippo in St. LuciaHippo in St. Lucia

Harrassing the hippos on a boat ride
headed to a bar under the Quarter Deck. Here we met some friendly locals and one of the whale watching guides. They invited us to have a few drinks and shooters with them and we discovered Potency which tastes like parma violets (you'd love it Mr Silk!). We caught up with the group again in the Monkey Lounge and spent a few hours trying to avoid dancing to the cheesy tunes.

Woke up relatively hangover free but it was a rather blustery, damp morning and it felt like a storm was brewing. We opted to do an afternoon cruise around the wetlands, although it was a bit chilly sailing back into the wind. It was well worth it though because we saw fish eagles, herons, crocs and hippos. We got really close to some hippos and we started to feel a bit sorry for them because the boat seemed to be pursuing them. One or two looked a bit grumpy but they didn't charge!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

More HipposMore Hippos
More Hippos

Ok we like hippos...and there were lots of them


13th August 2007

Hi guys!
It looks like you're having a fab time. The photos are amazing. Nowt to report back here, just cramming for my physics resit, wanna swap places!? Have a fab hol, take care, Mand xx

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb