And we're off!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Edenvale
July 4th 2012
Published: July 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Were on our way! The last few days have been a little crazy with all the last minute tasks and ticking off everything on our never-ending To Do List – but, that list was finally completed late last night and we managed to get all our gear into our two trusty backpacks. Who would have thought that you could go pretty minimalistic if you weren’t too fashion conscious! James has only just realized that his wardrobe mainly consists of grey – oh, and one or two blue items! I’m sure he’ll be donning a colourfully nifty, Alpaca wool scarf in no time!

Our first stop is Buenos Aires for a few days – just enough to find a lekker Tango spot and practise our Spanglish. After which we head up to Peru and start making our way south. Besides our first couple of night we haven’t booked any accommodation – so we’ll see what awaits us!

This is an once-in-a-lifetime trip that we are so fortunate to have at this time in our lives. A few things we hope to accomplish:

Toni – by the end of the trip be able to have a decent (although simple) Spanish conversation with a local. Language has never really been my strong point so this will be a huge accomplishment! Try as much as possible to taste all local cuisine and eat from local spots. I am also so looking forward to the freedom of going when and where we want, without having a jam-packed itinerary. And hopefully James will treat me to a nice spa treatment after our hectic mountaineering!

James – what ever Toni said – excluding the spa treatment! Also, I would have hopefully accomplished a long standing dream of mountaineering in snow-clad high altitude peaks. Hopefully the altitude doesn’t render me useless! I also want to eat the local equivalent of a “Smiley” in Peru- a roasted guinea pig!

We are so flippin excited and cannot wait to start our epic journey! YAH!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

All in!All in!
All in!

Managed to get all of it in with room to spare!


4th July 2012
Keen beans at 4am

Oh wow James does not look impressed.hahaha but you certainly do look keen guys.
4th July 2012

You look so happy. Enjoy!
4th July 2012
Keen beans at 4am

James
James is more 'deer-in-the-headlights' than keen it seems at 4am...
4th July 2012

Bon Voyage!
Wow! I'm so excited for you guys, and can't wait for the updates! :) Who knows maybe you can do a Bill Bryson and turn it into a bestselling a book! ;) Here's to special adventures!
4th July 2012

A smiley in Peru ...
Jaaames .... so that's what REALLY happened to choco and fudge? ;) Have a lovely trip you guys Xx
4th July 2012

Hi - will be with you every step of the way -safe travels and lots of fun. Knowing James, Toni, the spa treatment will be awaiting for you and well deserved. Not sure about the guniea pig eating James - we used to have one called Billy Whizz, vicious little beast - your Uncle Paul was surprisingly absent every time the cage needed cleaning he always volunteered me to do it!
5th July 2012

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you got all your stuff packed into those TINY bags! Have a safe journey!
6th July 2012
Keen beans at 4am

All bright-eyed and bushy-tailed... or is that bushy-beard(ed)? Awesome guys... hope you got a bit of a kip in on the plane.
7th July 2012

Awesome pics. I hope you have a real epic one. Im keen to know how the "smiley" tastes. See if you can find out how they prep it, maybe we can try it here, hehehehe. Safe travels :-)
8th July 2012

This is so cool, being able to follow your trip with you. Safe travels and awesome adventures. ps I wont tell Laura about the guinea pig!! X

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb