Sixth, Seven & Eighth day in the Mountains


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Free State » Drakensberg
June 20th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

June 20, 21, 22

For the past two days it has been cold and both Chris and I were walking around with closed up noses and feeling a bit off, so we have spent our days tucked under the blankets with boozing medicine.

On 21 June we decided to try out the Pizzaria that we heard about and took a drive to the Tower of Pizza. We had the most fantastic pizza that I tasted in a long time. All the pizza names have been named after the different peaks found in the mountain range. Very original. They had shovels made into chairs and though it wasn’t as comfortable as a normal chair it was unique and gave the place a great atmosphere. The restaurant was built in an old colonial style, surrounded by big trees. We discovered a little shop on the side and they had the most fabulous things to buy inside. Chi tea, different exotic spices and herbs. They had white hot chocolate that just made my mouth water from reading the label. What a special little spot tucked away in the heart of the Drakensberg.

June, 22
So it is the day of departure. We woke up so early and freezing cold. We put almost every item of clothing on that we had. Somewhere during the night a cold wind started blowing, and at times during the night I could hear the trees bending back and forth from the strong winds. I woke up, and I think the first words out my mouth were, is there any snow?? I have never seen snow, and this whole trip we were hoping to see snow. But nothing. Not a drop of snow, just the freezing wind blowing.

But we had no time to linger or to drink coffee to warm us, there are dark clouds staring and we have to start packing before the rain starts pouring, looking like stuffed snowmen we starting scrambling around to pack everything. Drizzling the rain came but we can't stop. After about 2hrs of packing everything was back in the landie and our house we had for a week has been broken down to a patch of yellow grass. Sadly we said goodbye and got in our car.

As we drive out the gate a last look at the mountain. "Snow, look there's snow", and there it was. On the highest peaks of the mountain was a white blanket of snow. My first time seeing snow. I was ecstatic and couldn’t stop watching. My camera’s battery was on empty but my finger was triggering until it completely died on me. What a beautiful going away present nature gave us. It was so perfect.

And so we head off home with the cold in our bones, the warmth in our hearts and the sight of the snow in our minds.

(photos are on the way)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb