Third day in the mountains


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Free State » Drakensberg
June 17th 2009
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The CascadesThe CascadesThe Cascades

This is Chris at the Cascades, climbing the boulders
June 17, 2009

We woke up this morning after a peaceful sleep with rain softly on the tent roof. It is even more chilly today, Chris gave one of the workers the dishes from last night, and figure the R15 we pay is much better than washing it ourselves.

He gets right back into bed and we finish Die Hard, which we didn’t manage to finish last night. We then decide it would be a good idea to drive to the closest town to pickup some supplies and to get the Landie checked out. But as we are on our way to get into the car we both realise that our cell phones are flat and if we pick up problems with the car we wouldn’t be able to phone any one, so instead we drive down to the parks board shop, and buy some meat for tonight, and some other things to see us through for today, until we can get to town tomorrow.

When we return, I have the lovely pleasure of washing out the cooler box, where we store our food and wash everything.

My stomach is growling and I make us some really
Getting downGetting downGetting down

Once you are up, you have to make sure you don't slide on the way down
good sandwiches, tomato, cheese and salami. We are bored staying at the tent and since the weather seems to clear we decide to take a walk. We walk to the cascades, it is stunning, it is a little stream, with big boulders surrounding it. There is so much photo opportunity and Chris uses it to his advantage, taking the most stunning photos. We search for coloured leaves to float on the water so he can take photos but after a couple of attempts he decides to leave it.

We enjoy the absolute magnificent nature surrounding us and then take a slow walk back, stopping to take photos of flowers, (there were almost no flowers)

It was great and we want to go back tomorrow.

The minute we get back to the tent our bodies cool down and the cold sets in our bones, we grab our winter woollies and enjoy some biscuits with Pepper cheese and Chilli cheese, o and some Old brown sherry to warm us up from inside. Then we curl up for another movie before bed time. What a great day spent in nature.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Little rapidsLittle rapids
Little rapids

THe Cascades makes little rapids, which is gorgeous for photography
The anglesThe angles
The angles

Sometimes you have to stand in awekward positions to get the perfect shot
Lonely leaveLonely leave
Lonely leave

As I was sitting watching Chris take photos I saw this lonely leave in the water


Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb