A day well spent


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Free State » Drakensberg
September 21st 2007
Published: September 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke to an amazing view of the Mountains- I didn't know how much I loved the Rockies until I haven't seen them for 2 months. Headed to the kitchen for breakfast where Cassidy was awesome enough to prepare us eggs and beans and bacon. Hot breakfasts are a rare occurrence around here, so it is a notable event when Cassidy does make them.

After breakfast I headed for a walk with Steph and Liz (Ireland) and Emma (England). We walked a short way down the road to where there are about 4 families living in earthen brick houses and roundawels. There are so many amazing and beautiful things to take pictures of, the houses stand out against the brown dry earth and blue sky with such intensity and the scene of a young herdsman with his cattle is just too much to miss.

From here Emma and I walked to the other side of the valley where there seemed to be some amazing views of the Draksenburgs. Along our way we ran into Marnie who had been checking out the valley for any horses she could find. We walked back to the 2 horses she found and then headed back across the valley close to where all the herdsmen were grazing their sheep and cattle.

After lunch Robert guided us to the rock paintings. It was quite the hike to get there considering it was only one rock painting. The painting shows the spiritual leader ( I think the Sargoma) having a dream with the ancestors. YOu can see the Sargoma coming out of the back of an Eland, a spiritually protected antelope.

From the rock painting we headed on to the Mission School. About 150 years ago a Mission traveled all the way out here and set up the campus and church that has been educating the residents for the last 150 years. It was built of sandstone harvested from farther up the valley and transported to the site of the church. The interior of the church was amazing! The Mission also created a tomb of Christ on the rock cliffside above the school. They placed a large white cross at the crest of the cliff and below created the tomb of christ, which you get to by a staircase on the front of the cliff.

After enjoying all the walking in the fresh air and mountain views I was off to bed shortly after dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb