Cramming things in


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Port Elizabeth
March 11th 2008
Published: March 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi

I have had problems getting here and then getting one of the computers that works. The nubers diminish each time and there are only 5 possible spaces.

I had my farewell " function" last week with Marina who was leaving then. There is always singing and prayers and for us some of the children we have been working with were there and gave us personal thanks. As mine are quite young and have limited English still they extolled the virtues of reading and then one of them read a whole book to the assembled teachers which was quite impressive. the staff presented us with elaborate beaded neck wear - too large to call a necklace but if any of you have seen pictures of Nelson Mandela in his tribal regalia you can imagine. We were adorned with them and matching earrings and bracelet and then we were all dancing and singing and of course there was food.

It was in the afternoon and incredibly hot as the temperatue here has been high and it is very humid - sorry to those who are shivering. We couldn't go in the sea for our evening dip as there were bluebottles not flies as I thought but jellyfish.

We went on our safari to Scotia on Friday afternoon and evening. We had a really good guide who was knowledgable about ecology and birds and insects as well as the big ones. We were in an open sided Jeep and Lesley, Robin and I were in the front. It seemed a good idea until we were tracking the lions through the thicket where every plant has great long thorns and tries to attack you. There is a family of five lions and we say the three young ones a male and two females and then the father came out from a tree and was within a couple feet of us which was very exciting. We saw the hippos too but they were in the bath and refused to do any more than raise their heads above the water. We also had good sightings of the animals we had seen on other trips. We had our first sighting of a jackal buzzard. I learned that wart hogs live in burrows and always go in backwards and glimpsed a yellow mongoose running across some open scrub.

We took the world's longest single track railway inland on Saturday. I was a bit disappointed it wasn't a steam train but they are still restoring them - a project for Jack! I have taken special pictures of rusty trains for him but I will spare everyone else. It was interesting going inland towards the mountains and seeing different habitats and some rural areas. We could also see the contrast between some of the gated communities with their expensive houses and electric fences, barbed wire and razor wire and private security. In one place there was a township on one side and a gated community on the other. I did try to get a photograph as one community was called Sanctuary Cove which seemed rather apt. We crossed a spectacular gorge where we got out and walked so that we could see the view and admire the engineering. It is called the Apple Express. I think orginally the line moved apples around.

Sunday some of us got up early and went birdwatching with Mike who had spoken in one of the evening lectures at the hotel abut ecology. The original trip location had been cancelled as some toursists wre attacked there earlier this year. Four of us were his guinea pigs to try out a new location. As we actually managed to see over 80 different types of bird, I think it is a goer. It was extremely hot but he brought a picnic snack - always muffins here and found the only bit of shade for miles. We were inland at first and then on the estuary and even near the temporary shack settlement on the flood plain where there were some interesting birds

The temporary settlement is where migrants from other African countries and rual South Africans come first hoping eventually to get moved into the more permanent townships and then to get government housing.

This week we are all suddenly realising that this is the last stretch. All the volunteers are leaving at the weekend, even those who have stayed longer as it is the school holidays from Friday. I have learned all my grade 3 names and they are generally progressing much faster as they have more exposure to English in their classes. They are not used to speaking English but they have learned some basic vocabulary orally but have not done much reading or writing and conversation so we have some interesting demonstrations. I try to insist on no Xhosa. It is very intensive when I am with them and although I plan, I find I have to improvise once I am with them as I am still really finding their level. The area is so dusty that everything gets very grubby and the tables are a bit small so things fall on the floor. Blutac doesn't stick as the walls are dusty too although they do lots of sweeping. I took some more photos of them working today. Everyone likes having their photo taken. Yesterday I had some sticky bits and they got terribly excited and went out with stars on their faces which they had found. They like some drawing or colouring to finish and love coloured pencils and new pencils with rubbers on the end. It causes some arguments as the new pencils I started with are getting stubby and they all want the longest ones. I have some new ones for tomorrow. I had forgotten what a time gets taken with sharpening pencils when you are all using them.

Robin Lesley and I compare notes in the evening and share and swap resources. We also walk, paddle or swim if it is not raining. Tonight we were very excited as we saw three dolphins swim across the bay.

It is difficult to get on email but I am enjoying any messages and look forward to seeing everyone next week.

Love Sue






Advertisement



12th March 2008

animals
How lucky you are to see all those animals in the wild - not the jellyfish, though! I hope the latter won't prevent you getting into the sea during your last few days. It will be sad for you to have to say 'Goodbye' to the children. Enjoy the rest of your stay and bon voyage for Saturday! x Rose
12th March 2008

cramming it in
Certainly you are. It still sounds like a real trip of a lifetime. We were inspired to go to see Charlie Darks African Beats at Turner Sims on Friday. Jack couldn't make it. It eas amazing a fusion of old and new. The only thing was it was so frustrating not to dance it seemed such a shame and you could feel audience frustration.# I sat there jigging away and rely upbeat but wasn't brave enough to get up alone. I couln't help comparing it to you r descriptions of the sponteneity of expression in singing and dancing. It was reviewed n Guardian and on Front Row on Mon R4 but the rest of the gigs are at cub type venues so the atmospere should be incredible. We have been quite heavily involved with Anne and Graham. Up here since last night with van as they are having carpets fitted throughout the house and needed help to clear and the Anne and dog need somewhre to be. So we are cosy in here but it has been gale forse winds for the last 3 days and last night was unbelievable as the van was lurching constantly and the noise was terrible. We had a little sleep. Need to stay awake for the book group at 25 HAnley tonight. You will be missed. All good otherwise and looking rfoward to seeing you soon. Much love Lesley ( Michael) xxx
13th March 2008

What an experience
Lions and tigers and bears OH NO - opps it was hippos and wart hogs - I am quite jealous of your wonderful experience - wish I had some adventure genes, too! do you think you will go again! would love to send some supplies to the school - we'll talk when you get back to jolly old England! Have a safe journey.. XO Jillian

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0996s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb