port alfred


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Port Alfred
December 26th 2011
Published: December 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at about 8 30pm, after the sun had gone down to the reception of our amazing beach cottage only for the lady to turn up and say she didn’t have us booked in and she was all full. Ahh, we said, that leaves us in a bit of a pickle. We were now searching for somewhere to stay at 9pm in the height of the summer season, great. We rang numerous amounts of places which were all full until we found a hotel right on the river. It was a life saver, although we knew by the advert ‘clean accommodation’ that it wasn’t going to be anything great.



It wasn’t, but it was cheaper and it served breakfast in the morning.



We scraped through the night and checked out as soon as possible to find a place to stay over the next couple of nights whilst the girls were with us. We found this amazing place called Rugged Rocks which over looked the ocean, had beautiful scenery and a private swimming pool. Luxury for the next 2 days. This was going to be good as the weather was amazing and Collier was going to arrive in just a few days’ time.



The outdoor swimming pool was so nice as it was warmer than the sea, clean and sheltered from the high winds that you get on the beach. We had a real nice time relaxing, eating out and spending the time we had with each other before the girls move on to Australia.



Saturday night and collier arrives! It was good to see him after months of not seeing him and catching up. He popped in for 10 mins before going to a friend house of his where he is staying and we would see him the whole day on Sunday. We finished Saturday evening with a Braai. After having to go next door to borrow some firelighters we eventually got the wood burning and the meat cooking. A bit of marinade, some braai brojties and some salad and we were ready to eat some of the most amazing ‘BBQ’ food I have ever had.



Sunday morning went to the church which Collier talks about often in high regard. It was a great church, with good people and a good message. The pastor of the church left the bible school he was studying at as they thought he was going ‘off the rails’. By that I don’t mean drugs and alcohol but instead he was preaching about the grace of Jesus offered to all compared to the law and works righteousness. He left the college and started a church at the age of 21. The pastor of this church has an energy, a joy and a passion for Jesus that he explains he got out of really understanding the grace of God. Collier grew up with this guy and described him before as very bitter and grumpy but has changed through the grace of God.



We went for lunch after at a sea food restaurant were Laura and I had good old fish and chips whilst the others had ‘proper’ sea food. This was the first taste of cider for 4 months; a nice cold, refreshing cider o the river side whilst sharing good times with friends, perfect. We finished the evening by going to a gig where we knew the band so sat in the VIP section eating nachos with the band after they had finished their set. Collier had been in the country for 2 hours and had already got phone calls to do PA at church in the morning and sound at the gig in the evening.



We had a good time in Port Alfred and this was our last night here before driving back to Port Elizabeth to drop the girls at the airport, which is where I write this blog, waiting for our hire car to be ready. We have booked a night back in Jeffery’s bay to upload lots of pictures (and this blog) before heading further down the garden route towards Cape Town for Christmas.



Beth left us Christmas cards from people and also our wedding present from the rectory which Meg and I want to say thank you for… We will think about what we will do.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb