World Cup Fever!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Chintsa
June 4th 2010
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I’m not a football fan. In fact, I tend to associate the sport with over paid, under worked guys & needless, violent, hooliganism. But…to be in South Africa right now is very exciting; the build up to our hosting of the World Cup, the anticipatory atmosphere around us, even in a small town on the Eastern Cape, is totally engrossing!

This week a British marketing company sent their football team to stay in Chintsa with the intention of playing against local South African teams. A sense of intrigue surrounded them. Who were these guys? Was the trip about football or marketing? Not one of us could have predicted the impact that this one British team could have on our community; a small time team, decent players but nothing over whelming, enjoyed a beer & a braai but wow, did their presence here create something very special.

Of the several games played throughout the Great Kei area, for me, to be present at the Chintsa township night game was not just a highlight but an honour. With floodlights, smart kits, vuvuzelas, a team of local women singing & dancing at the goal line & and the most electric atmosphere I have ever experienced…how can I not feel World Cup fever? This event was our own World Cup. It was amazing. More local white people came into the township than ever before, there were cheers and shouting, dancing & singing, silly hats, bafana bafana shirts, kids, adults, sharing of beers & cheers & commiserations. The starry African night sky above us, the dry barren ground beneath. A coming together of local people, a divide crossed and an open cause- to celebrate, to get excited to cheer on both our local team and our guests. I felt proud to be a part of this occasion, to be a part of this community.
The World Cup is highly anticipated in South Africa: this event was our World Cup. I have the feeling that it will prove to have as much of an impact on the community here as the actual FIFA events will. It was a momentous occasion. A testament to the power of sport, the power of a group experience.

As our guests depart South Africa I hope that their experience of South Africa was as exciting and thought provoking for them, as their presence here has been for us.

I would like to pay my dues to Mother London for sending their team here, African Heartland Journeys for facilitating the whole event & the community of Chintsa for supporting such an awesome occasion & allowing me to be a part of it.

My final thought is a heartfelt “Bring on the World Cup!”

Advertisement



4th June 2010

Wow!
I live in Johannesburg and the World Cup vibe here is unbelievable. What you witnessed though was unique. Lucky you! Pity that your story has not filtered through to the papers here - it gave me a big old lump in my throat. That's the sort of stuff that makes living here worthwhile. It's the sort of connection I look for daily and when they happen it's human interaction at its most sublime. I'm so relishing this World Cup (also not a great fan of soccer) because of the license it gives one to interact across the racial barriers that still exist. Makes me shake just thinking about it. Thanks for your observant eye and for letting me read your stuff. Cheers, Greg
8th June 2010

Said it all
You've said it all, and like you, I've been overwhelmed by the the Mother London tour, the football that took place and the way it has brought the World Cup to Chintsa, helped galvanise our community and added to the concept of unity through sport.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb