Latest Stops - no pics


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Chintsa
June 30th 2009
Published: June 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everybody;
We've made alot of stops since our last entry. We don't have any pics posted this time because backpackers won't let you download into their computers. We'll have to do it at an internet cafe next time we're in a bigger place.
After leaving Swellendam we went to Oudtshoorn. Beautiful drive. At times I'd swear we were driving through New Mexico. This spot is labeled "The Karoo". There are big ranches here, but not for cattle, they're for Ostrich. Ostrich are here naturally but started being farmed back in the 1800's when European and American high society women felt they had to have Ostrich feathers to be fashionable. It's quite a big business here. We took a tour of an Ostrich farm, got to feed them, see how their eggs are incubated, how their feathers are plucked. It was very interesting. They are huge! In the wild they live to be 40-50 years old, but in captivity they live to be much older. They had one called "Opa" meaning grandfather who was 87 years old. They don't pluck his feathers anymore, he's retired. Stayed at a great backpackers called "Karoo Soul". It was almost like a boutique hotel, very nice. Aaron fixed us a great dinner of pasta, marinara and Ostrich meatballs. They were to die for! Our second day we went to the Cango Caves. It was awesome. The caves go a couple of miles but they only let the public into the first half. We did the adventure tour meaning we went deeper than the regular tour and had to do some belly crawling through tunnels and sliding up chimney type fissures, etc. The first tight spot was a little nerve wracking, but it was fun after that. I knew I could do it then!
Our next stop was "Wilderness". I swear every place we go is more beautiful than the last. How can that be? I can't explain it. It's South Africa. We stayed in a national park in a great little log cabin on the river, but we could still see the ocean, also. We canoed up the river and were taking a hike up to a water fall when we came across a Puff Adder on the trail, and he didn't want to move. Since they are very poisonous we decided to turn around and head back down. That turned out to be the right move, right after getting back in the canoe we were paddling back down the river and a troop of Baboons was in a tree above us feeding. We stopped and watched them, they stopped and watched us, it was very cool. The bird life on the river was amazing, you'll see when we get to post some pics. Next day we hit the beach with a picnic. There were some of the biggest jelly fish I've ever seen washed up on the beach. One would honestly have been able to encapsulate a washing machine if he'd been spread out in the water, he was a giant just laying on the beach.
Our next stop was Knysna, oyster capital of the Garden Route. Of course we spent the first afternoon there eating raw oysters. The restaurant we went to had wild and farmed oysters, they were both delicious. I think I prefer the farmed oyster. Much meatier and briney. We stayed way out on the beach at Buffalo Bay backpackers in a safari tent out on the sand dunes, it was really cool. Still windy and pretty chilly though. Lots of surfers coming to these parts for a competition. They're headed up the road to Cape St. Francis / Jeffries Bay. Home of the "perfect wave", where "Endless Summer" was filmed back in the 60's. We've met surfers from Austrailia, Hawaii, California, Brazil, and all over South Africa.
That's all for now. We'll post some pics as soon as we can. Let us hear from you!
Carolyn & Aaron


Advertisement



30th June 2009

Ostrich Farm
How fun it must have been at the ostrich farm! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time!! Have fun and be careful.
30th June 2009

Keep those cards & letters coming!
It is just great seeing you both--and hearing about your travels--pleae keep them coming! I'm so jealous! Miss you both! Rick

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb