On my way to Rwanda


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda
July 7th 2011
Published: July 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled | Untitled | Untitled

July 7th I am on my way to Rwanda in Central Africa (see map for travel route). This 10 day trip is sponsored by the SEVEN Fund: Social Equity VENture Fund, which was founded to seek solutions to poverty. As ambitious as that may seem, this organization is really in the vanguard to help reach this. As part of the preparation for travel we were sent articles, books, and had several conference calls.

My participation is the result of a competition to select 5 teachers to look at efforts-- and major successes-- of Rwanda. While the genocide of 1994 comes to mind quickly for the country, its achievements since then really explain what it is about.

To get ready I did considerable reading and internet surfing. Sources present a consistent picture, tracing the roots of ethnic conflicts to colonialism. Europeans, particularly Belgians, encouraged (or created) rivalries. Efforts to divide and conquer were successful and lingered after independence.

The current president, Paul Kagame, led the resistance movement. He is the architect of the economic and social (re)building under way. Since 2000 per capita income has more than doubled, crime and corruption are negligible, life expectancy is up, kids are in school. Reconciliation is actually happening between killers and survivors who were injured and lost most of their families.

My first difficulty for the trip was figuring out how to pack without plastic bags. They are not allowed in Rwanda. The environmental problem of plastic bags is bad everywhere and awful in developing countries. Certainly more surprises and adjustments to come. I'll share some soon.

Advertisement



11th July 2011

Thinking of You
Hey Yanick, wonderful to hear from you. How exciting to be selected for this journey. I feel you have found your niche and passion. PLease keep in touch. Blessing and I know that this will be a wonderful experience. Caroline

Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.099s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb