kongo karaoke?‏


Advertisement
Rwanda's flag
Africa » Rwanda » Ville de Kigali » Kigali
May 1st 2005
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

i never thought i'd say this, but i think i've discovered my dream job in congo. apparently in congo it is not frowned upon, and perhaps it's even encouraged, for DJs on the radio to sing along and harmonize ON AIR over the playing song.

it took me a while to figure out this was in fact what was going on. they were playing american pop songs but i wasn't too familiar with them. it seemed strange though that in all the songs the same woman, who sounded strangely similar to the dj, was also singing along with part of each song (i guess with the words she knew - she was french-speaking). then a sade song came on and i had my proof.

when i asked the guide and my coworker if it was normal for DJs to sing along on the radio, the guide said "i thought it was you singing. i looked to see if your lips were moving and i saw that they were not." my coworker thought the same. apparently it's a congo thing. we were so close to the border we were picking up their signal. they were as surprised by it as i was. we had a very good, long laugh about this, which is a rare occurrence given the language barrier.

well, if nothing else, at least for a brief moment in time, somebody thought i had a good voice...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb