Rwanda (Gorilla treking)


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was an amazing experience, definitely a trip highlight!

The trek itself was tough! We pretty much hiked uphill for 3 hours straight, gaining approximately 600m in elevation. The trails were muddy, and at times very steep. Also we had to be wary of the stinging nettles. When we did see the gorillas, it was on a steep hill and through dense bush, which made it tough for viewing, but the guide and trackers were amazing, and always tried to help place us in a better spot for taking photos and viewing the gorillas.

We visited the Bwenge group which had one Silverback, two babies, and 7 females. Apparently it was also the group that was featured in the movie "Gorillas in the Mist".


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



16th August 2008

Way Cool!
Jordan and Kathie, I envy your experience. What an experience. I'm so glad you posted about it. Love the pictures, too.
18th August 2008

amazing
If you're anything like my brother, you'll ask your friends to start you a fundraiser to keep you out of Canada!! Wow, no kidding this would be one of the trip's highlights!!
18th August 2008

Wow
What an amazing experience.Great pictures !!! Thanks for sharing : )
21st January 2010

Gorillas
I just looked at your pictures of your trekking the gorillas they are wonderful. I will be going to Rwanda in Aug., which is the dry season. I am a senior with some problems with walking and was wondering if you could give me a little insight to how hard it really is to walk. The tour company I am going with said it would be a 1 1/2 hour hike in and 1hr stay with 1 1/2 hour trek back. I am worried that I won't be able to do the trek. Chicky
21st January 2010

The trek itself was very difficult for the group that we visited. Other groups were a lot easier to find. I'm guessing they will try to put you with this group. But be warned, it will still be tough.
18th May 2011

Amazing trip
Me and my girlfriend had a trip extension in Rwanda to visit Gorilla last april and was one of the best trip of our life. We was in Tanzania, visiting Serengeti National Park, and we decided to spent 3 days in Rwanda. It was easy and amazing reach Rwanda, from Serengeti we flew with Coastal Aviation to Kigali, had a panoramic view of all Serengeti and Victoria Lake. If you have the chance, our suggestion is to visit Rwanda and Serengeti, it is an unbelievable trip.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb