Niger


Advertisement
Niger's flag
Africa » Niger
February 26th 2013
Published: February 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Poverty in Niger




T.H.E. B.O.M.B.




The food shortage in Niger could be considered one of the worst results of famine the world has ever seen. Unpredictable rainfall doesn't help the situation, and neither does the scarcity of clean water sources. Some would consider this a geographical problem, but it could also be considered one of military conflict as well.




Niger was dependent on France until 1960. Since then, it has had issues with basic farming, health care, and social conditions. They are on their own, and they are struggling severely. Since farming and agricultural care are so important, and neither is strong in Niger, the food shortage has grown to unbelievable levels. In fact, there was "a 220,000-ton shortfall in the harvest of grains, especially millet, which is the staple of most people's diet." This disaster was predicted, yet the government of Niger waited until after the famine to ask for assistance of other countries. Because it waited so long and needed the help right away, it was only able to recieve a fraction of what it had asked other countries for. Furthermore, since food is so rare, the food that is available is extremely expensive. Families are forced to sell cattle and other potential food sources for goods such as millet, which leads to future disasters and famine.




262 out of every 1,000 live children born each year don't even make it to their fifth birthdays as a result of malnutrition and disease. The population is so large and is rapidly growing, with each woman bearing an average of seven children. In fact, the population is predicted to double by 2026. With more mouths to feed and an appreciable amount of food missing, the casualties will continue until Niger can either get the aid it needs or begin to pick itself up.




In the News




An article from The Economist entitled "Doing it My Way" talks about the challenges faced by many farmers in the agricultural field. It states that most of Niger's workforce is based in agriculture, which means that many people are struggling without food since most are trying to sell the food they grow.




This article supports the notion that a lot of the poverty in Niger is a result of the military conflict and economic downfall. Because Niger's civilians were new to farming when they were liberated from France, many had to learn the right way on their own. Many civilians in Niger did not know the proper way to farm once they were on their own, and the government's main focus was elsewhere, as well. To add, the government did not ask for a reasonable amount of food aid in time, and a staggering amount of the population is left without nourishment and stuck in poverty.



http://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21572379-ideological-competition-between-two-diametrically-opposed-economic-models-doing-it-my



Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb