Namibia Day 3


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Sossusvlei
August 4th 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Corona this morning after sitting on the terrace and having a wonderful breakfast, and perhaps more importantly use of a tyre pressure gauge to drop the pressures in all of the tyres. This has transformed the handing on the gravel and made it a lot more pleasant to drive and stopped it wanting to swap ends on the bumps. On our journey yesterday we saw perhaps 5 cars once we had left Windhoek, but today we got on to the main tourists route between Sossusvlei and Swakopmund and there was a lot more traffic but when compared to home it is still very quite. We had to go through the Gaub Pass which was a lot easier to negotiate than the Gamsberg Pass. We just had to stop with most of the other tourists to take our picture as we left the tropics by crossing the Tropic of Capricorn.

After this we pushed on to Solitaire for a refuel for the car and some cold drinks before leaving the tourist route for a more scenic drive through the Naukluft Mountains where we came across the first rivers with water in them and we had to ford one but it was only a couple of inches deep.

Along the way we have seen springbok, oryx, ostrich, marshal eagles, a ground squirrel, a pair of slender mongoose and lots of bird life.

We are now at our destination, Desert Homestead which consists of large public area with dining area, lounge, bar and terrace with swimming pool and lots of individual thatched huts consisting of an en-suite room with a covered terrace at the front, where you can sit and watch the sun set over the plain and mountains beyond. We have two nights here. It’s a good place to venture forth into the dunes and we’re currently trying to decide whether to try the sun-downer horse ride tomorrow afternoon.

There is wifi and internet here so we will post again tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



9th August 2012

Solitaire
This brings back such fantastic memories! Did you have apple pie at Solitaire? Are the meerkats still there?
11th August 2012

No meercats!
Hi Kate, Yes, Rob had apple pie at Solitaire the second time we stopped, but I had a huge brownie which was equally delicious! We didn't see any meercats - if I had known they were there I would definitely have kept my eyes peeled. Love, Meg

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 16; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb