Day 201 - Saving the best till last and spending Namibian money any way we can


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Rundu
January 19th 2007
Published: January 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post


Today is our last day in Namibia. We drove out of Etosha National Park early in the morning and as so often seems to happen managed to save the best for last. We saw 2 lions chilling out under the shade of a tree, so stopped to watch them for a bit. They must have been full because there were plenty of antelopes nearby looking relatively relaxed. Somehow they must know the lions aren't ready for a meal. The giraffes weren't so perceptive, or perhaps they are just more naturally cautious, and they looked quite funny as they passed the lions without taking their eyes of them. Then we spotted a further 3 female lions heading in formation towards a watering hole so the truck somehow did a 3 point turn and we went to have a look at the drinking lions. It's great to see the effect of the undisputed kings of the 'jungle', especially the giraffe who abandoned her bambi-on-ice posture for drinking and moved away.

For our final night in Namibia we had a campsite on a river supposedly full of hippos and crocodiles, but we saw none of either. We did see Angola across the river and looked into crossing the bridge for a drink but border crossings are a little more complicated than that around here so we gave up. Instead we all noticed that our Namibian dollars would soon be useless so we hit the bar in style. Ed lost at pool to the resident 9 year old, Gemma recorded movie footage of surgery carried out in the bar on someone's toe, and the handful of people who had gone to bed early were mightily annoyed by our less than silent return to the tents. Excellent.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb