Nambia Day 8 Luderitz


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Luderitz
August 10th 2016
Published: August 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to another fantastic sunrise on the edge of the Fish River Canyon. After breakfast we set off on the scenic road (as recommended by the manageress) towards the C13 to Aus. The road followed many dry riverbeds noticeable for being the only place where trees grow and one even had water in it; not the heart stopping river fording that we experienced in Iceland, although a cow had to move out of the way to let us through. We climbed to over 4,000ft and still there were hills around us.

The C13 to Aus is a paved road, generally straight as a die, with little of note. We spent most of the journey climbing, topping out at over 5,000 feet above sea level. We stopped for coffee and a very generous slice of four-layer carrot cake in the terrace of the Bahnhof Hotel in Aus before continuing to Luderitz through the dessert on the B4, another laser straight road that follows the rail line and the main power grid. Although we have followed the rail lines for lots of miles we have yet to see any trains. We did see abandoned buildings alongside the line that were probably depots for water in the days of steam. We saw some of the famous Aus wild horses on the way. From Aus the road descends from the central plateau that makes up much of central Namibia, to sea level.

On arrival we explored Luderitz, which was once a German colonial town and is now a very attractive seaside town, featuring several buildings from the beginning of the last century and the 'church on the rock'. We had a look round the inside and they have a letter and a newspaper cutting from one of the craftsmen that built the original church on display. It was found in the top of the tower when some restoration work was undertaken. The buildings are painted in bright colours, giving the town a picture postcard feel. We are writing this in our room before dinner, listening to the waves gently lapping on the rocks below and watching the sky turn a pinky glow. During our travels the temperature topped out at 33 degrees Celcius but it is much milder here by the coast and we are expecting a warmer night too.

Tomorrow we will visit the Kolmanskop ghost town and then see what else the area has to offer. We may get to see some penguins and terns.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 19; qc: 78; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb