Namibia 2016 Day 5 Quiver Tree Forest Rest Camp


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Keetmanshoop
August 7th 2016
Published: August 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A day spent on the road today and an hour gained due to the time difference between SA and Namibia. We left !Xaus Lodge this morning for another 30 km of dune bashing to get back to the main road, but before we left we were treated to another fantastic breakfast.
Once on the main road through Kglagladi the game and bird life was plentiful with another first when we spotted some hyena. The journey was highlighted by pronking springbok (where they spring into the air like they're skipping) and sighting a pair of lions.

After crossing the border back into Namibia we pushed on to our next destination all on the gravel. About 20km from the border crossing we stopped at a campsite for coffee and the most exquisite apple pie. The campsite was located on a farm that was almost picture perfect with ducks, geese and a goat all roaming free in the yard. There was also a little shop selling gifts and some food.

Continuing on our journey we were treated to a slowly changing landscape. Firstly a road that dipped and dived as it went from dune to dune, then a totally flat landscape with scarcely any trees before it started to get hilly, eventually turning into the volcanic landscape we are now in, parts of which were reminiscent of Iceland. There is an area full of rocks that look as if they have been placed higgledy piggledy, giving it the name Giant's Playground and the Quiver Tree Forest, which has prehistoric looking trees similar to bayabobs.

The forest and rocky area are part of a farm, within which is the rest site where we are staying in a fibreglass 'igloo', one of the strangest places we have ever stayed. The farm itself is quirky. We were greeted by a ragtaggle bunch of dogs which included a collie and a three-legged pug and a warthog was browsing on the front lawn.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb