Into Africa


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Fish River Canyon
August 27th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Quivver TreeQuivver TreeQuivver Tree

No confusion required.

Into Africa



We set of early next day for a long drive down from Windhoek to Voglstrauskluftlodge - yes we are in Namibia and not Bavaria!

Namibia really is quite empty and desolate, but beautiful in it's own way. As we journey south, you can see the landscape become much more arid and the beginnings of canyons starting to form.

As a treat, our driver, who hasn't driven this part of Namibia before, suggests that we visit the Quivver Tree forest, which sounds like a treat. We do a 17km detour down a track road to buy some tickets from some not-very-helpful farmers and drive off on our way. After we've driven back the 17km, it become apparent that we should have perhaps seen some Quivver trees by now. This is a lesson in 'assume' makes and ass out of you and me. After some persuasion, we drive back the 17km for a frank exchange of views with the farmers.

The situation is rescued in the end. The quivver trees are a bit spooky but quite impressive in their way. Our ticket gets us entry to the Giant's Playground - lots of very regular square red blocks
Giant's PlaygroundGiant's PlaygroundGiant's Playground

Big and weird.
that really do look like a massive Duplo set that someone's dropped.

Lightbulb Misadventure


Our driver is flagged down at a checkpoint we've already doubled-back on and receives a 300 Namibian dollar fine for one of his floods not working. Can't help feeling that we've contributed to this and our driver's not really very happy about it. Oh dear.

We push on south and as it's getting dark we finally arrive at the lodge. We both go on an expedition to capture the sunset, which turns into bit of a solo effort, if you catch my drift! Given the snakes and scorpions that come out at night, according to the welcome sheet, this is a good thing.

As we go into reception (and this is obvious if you think about it) our driver asks what time dinner is and whether we can eat outside. There's no other guests and we realise that when the time comes we've a candle-lit dinner for three - it feels very 'You, Me and Dupree'.

The lodge is so quiet and remote. We do feel like urbanites in the middle of nowhere.

Up early tomorrow for our expedition to what
Sunset at the LodgeSunset at the LodgeSunset at the Lodge

Remote and beautiful.
we've come for - Fish River Canyon itself.


Advertisement



3rd September 2009

3rd 9th 2009
thank you for all the exciting information. The photos are terrific, especially the quad bikes. Looking forward to further news and will send email with more news. Love mum and dad. xxxxxx

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb