Day 14: Twyfelfontein - Etosha NP


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
August 25th 2012
Published: November 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was going to be our first game drive and boy was everyone excited about that. Even I was excited, even though animals were not the reason I came to Africa (despite what everyone seems to believe). After a short drive we made it to the park gates where our game drive officially began. On the way into camp we saw some springbok, kudu and zebra, as well as a few more giraffe. After making camp first we went for a look at the waterhole near camp where we saw some zebra and oryx, then we went out on a longer game drive. This one was much more successful. We managed to see two white rhinos, a herd of elephants and a pride of lions. The lions and elephants crossed the road right in fron of our truck! I never thought we would get so close to them, yet here we were, on our fist game drive, only meters away from 2 of the big 5. We were so caught up in what we were seeing that we almost missed the close of gates at our campsite, which would have resulted in a 20,000 rand fine! Thanks to Kobus and his amazing Michael Schumacher impersonation we just made it.

Once we arrived back at camp Riccardo and I headed over to the waterhole we have at our camp. It is a real waterhole, not a bar (bucking the trend, I know). The waterhole is floodlit so we can see animals as they come to the waterhole for a drink. During our time there we saw springbok, zebras, girraffe, elephants and a rhino. The elephants were so cool to watch. There was a big bull elephant and a younger elephant having a bit of a play fight. Apparently the bull was teaching the young one how to fight. It felt surreal to just be sitting there taking photos of these majestic creatures. It was way better than TV I can assure you of that!

As we were walking back to our tent we noticed jackals running aorund the campsite. No I know why Hettie advised us not to bring food into our tents at night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb