A quickie recap


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
September 11th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's our last night in Namibia, and I'm a bit sad. I absolutely love this country. The days have been filled with lazy contentment as I read or knit on the bus periodically interrupted with gasps of disbelief as we pass a lion guarding a watering hole or a deep red sand dune towering against the brilliant blue sky.

The past forty-eight hours were among my favorite on the trip. Steve and I celebrated our one month anniversary with a bottle of delicious South African shiraz while we sat at a watering hole and watched the steady parade of elephants (with so many adorable babies!), zebras, giraffes, springbok, black rhinos (also with a calf), and even a leopard! There were all under twenty yards away! Dinner that evening was all of Steve's favorites: mutton, pork ribs, baked potatoes and garlic bread. As I'm not the meat and potatoes sort, I resorted to begging a veggie sausage off our token vegetarian!

We arose very early in the morning for a sunrise game drive. We'd barely driven a few miles when someone spotted about five cheetahs on the side of the road. We stopped to watch them for a bit (they are freaking fast!), and then continued on to an amazing watering hole where a male lion was sunning himself.

We returned to the campsite to find that Ronel (our cook/tour guide) had laid out a spread of scrambled eggs, toast, portobello mushrooms, hash, yogurt, and muesli, all of which she prepared over a campfire! Dani, the young Brit, convinced me to try the Marmite she'd brought along. HOLY HORRID!!! She did try a PB&J in return, though.

After breakfast, we headed to the gorgeous pool. NPS campgrounds could take a cue from this place! The beer was cheap, the sun was bright, and the water was refreshing! A few hours later, we were on the road again heading for the next campsite in the same national park. This time we made use of the walkie talkies we received as a wedding gift to coordinate communication with the spotters at the watering hole and the others at the campsite - fantastic present! Thanks, Mike!

We're now in Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. We're actually staying in a hotel (not shared this time!) and will have dinner in a *gasp* restaurant! We head into Botswana tomorrow and may not have much internet access for a bit.

Take care!

~Kelly

Advertisement



11th September 2008

Happy Anniversary!
Has it been a month already? Time flies when your having fun, and it sounds like you ARE having alot of fun. Still waiting for some pictures though.
11th September 2008

Yo
I just found and read through this entire journal. Sounds like you two are having a great time. Lindsay and I have been back from our Honeymoon so long that we've lost our tans. Keep on having fun! --Markus (I also giggle whenver I see or hear the word Titicaca)

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb