Mountain of Life


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
January 11th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I was going to write a light hearted report of this tough holiday, sunshine, good food and swimming pools etc.
But, that is as nothing to the night we had at the end of our short trip to Etosha Game Park. The game viewing had been good except for the sitings of elephants and other large game. On arrival I went off to cool down inthe swimming pool with the others, except for Matthew, who went off to the waterhole. He came back with a wonderful experience of seeing a rhino. So, we all trooped over at about 6 in the eveining, hoping to see something, but not expectant.
There were lots of deer and some giraffes going down to drink and after a time some people gave up and went off to eat and watch football. (yess...) Suddenly, out of nowhere, a rhino appeared from behind a bush and slowly ambled down to the water to drink. That was such a special moment, I have never seen one of these in the wild, so on my mountain of life experiences, this was special! However, it did not stop there, two more came down to join that one, then instead of drinking peacefully, the first rhino started to show aggressive moves towards the newcomer. They butted horns and heads on the water's edge, then went into the water to fight. The giraffes looked on with rather a bemused air, but the duck just swam around as if this was normal behaviour!!
At some point, four lions appeared, they too ambled down to the water's edge to drink, then a group of elephants joined in - a family of 12 with some young. Which do you watch? It was like a Shakespearian play with all the sub-plots on stage at once!
To cut this short (time is running out and htere is a queue for hte computer) the elephants shaswd off the lions who half-heqartedly chased the giraffes. The single rhino was disgusted by the behaviour of the two fighting and moved off to the left of the hole. Then over the six hours, six more rhino joined the group, two groups of mum and her young, the others were all single.
Such a magical experience to see them, to witness their squabbling amongst themselves, and the elephants sorting the rhino and the lions out.
On the list of special days in my life, this has to be amongst up at the top those experiences at the top.
Off to Swakopmund tomorrow - dunes and things!


Advertisement



11th January 2007

Mountain of Life
What a wonderful experience you describe, what a day!! Sounds a bit like Saturday night in Newport town centre. The whole experience of the holiday sounds breathtaking. Good to hear from you. Love, John
11th January 2007

Amazed
What an amazing experience you have had! It’s remarkable to me that all this is going on with the wild animals while we are here, going to school and work and doing the same old things. You are very fortunate, Liz :)
11th January 2007

What about the hippo???
Forget all THESE animals... what about old faithful - THE HIPPO!
11th January 2007

wow
wow for once im speechless mum said you didnt have to go to etosha park to see all that squabbling you could have just come to our house instead missing you lots wish i was there your best bod
11th January 2007

We just need the pictures now
Looks like your 'mountain of life experiences' is destined to keep growing.
14th January 2007

Better than BETT
Hi Just come home from 4 days and 3 nights at BETT. Feel very envious. remember the clearing up last year ? Some minor improvements. Think i too should have retired !!
16th January 2007

Hippos
Oh firend, I am gradually morphing into a hippo! The food is so good out here and now we have arrived at hte German part of Namibia, the cakes are deelish!! Must take myself in had, or else I could start the Sad Hippo Society!! LG

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb