Morocco Day 11


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
October 25th 2011
Published: October 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Breakfast on the Terrace
Today dawned bright and beautiful in Essaouira after yesterday’s storms; fortunately there was little evidence of any flooding. We had breakfast on the roof terrace, basking in the sunshine and it was very hot even at that early hour. First item on the agenda for today was a stroll on the beach, paddling in the Atlantic surf. It was wonderful to feel the sun on our backs as we watched the occasional surfer and sea fisherman trying their luck .After yesterday’s bad weather there was quite a bit of rubbish washed up on the shore line.
Whilst we had espressos in a cafe on the promenade looking out over the stunning views we were entertained by some acrobats, just a bunch of young guys that performed their somersaults and balancing acts before passing round a hat.
We had a long stroll through the medina and enjoyed a walk along part of the medina walls that look out over the ocean. There were a considerable amount of cannons left from when the town was fortified in 1765. We took some lunch on the roof terrace of one of the many restaurants (there was some welcome shade) and then continued our wanderings through
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

Walking in the surf
the medina looking at the various shops, which mainly catered for tourists. However, we came across one street which was the market for locals selling meat, groceries, clothing etc. This led to the very dilapidated Jewish quarter, which is a very depressing sight and it made you feel quite uncomfortable walking through. We were quite happy to see the first stalls visible through the arch at the end.
We made a few purchases in the various small shops and stalls. Generally the stallholders are very friendly and may call out to you to come and look at their goods but you are under no pressure to buy. They are also more than willing to negotiate the price and this is of course expected. Few stalls have prices displayed so in general you have to ask.
We are again ending the daylight hours on the roof terrace but unlike Rabat and the swallows and bats, tonight there are only the seagulls for company, but it is still a stunning sunset out over the Atlantic. Tomorrow we leave Essaouira for our final destination Marrakesh.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Photo 4Photo 4
Photo 4

The distinct blue and white buildings
Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Crashing waves
Photo 6Photo 6
Photo 6

Glorious sunset


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb