Update from Maroc


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Souss-Massa-Draâ » Agadir
December 29th 2006
Published: December 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Im in Agadir, after taking a very bumpy very long car ride through the Atlantic coast on what one might call a road. We met an English guy in our Youth Hostel in Casablanca and took him as far as Essaouira. Unfortunately for me, Agadir has more tourists, all white and all European than I have ever seen. Its not very Moroccan at all, however the guys like it, including our modern hotel with modern amenities and a pool. Im not very impressed, but tomorrow we are going up through the Atlas mountains to Marrakesh, so that should be good. We will spend New Years there and then head further up to Fès and Meknès. There is nothing much to write about here, its no different than any resort town on the Mediterranean, or for that matter, Florida or the Caribbean. In general, you spend your time in Morocco jumping between donkeys and scooters; horn honk every minute of the day, and your nose is bombarded with every smell you can imagine- spices and tagine, exhaust, chemical pollution, incense and raw sewage. Poverty and extravagance live hand in hand, with shanty towns and sparling mansion sharing the same views of the mountains and the sea. The drive south to Agadir through Safi, Essaouira and a hundred small villages or communes was breath-taking. As the only way most tourists get to Agadir is by the brand new airport, and no highways exist south of El-Jedida, it is a true taste of Morocco, with local butchers selling sheep and goats, trucks piled high with pottery and ancient cars spewing grey clouds. Carbon emissions don't seem to be an issue here.

Advertisement



29th December 2006

New Year
Hi Madison, I had Moroccan lamb last night thinking of you. See you around Jan. 13. Happy New Year. Love, as always, Mardi
5th January 2007

HAMILTON BLOG
WHAT ARE YOU HAVEING FOR SUPPER TO NIGHT

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb