Midnight @ the Oasis, put your camel to bed


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Meknès-Tafilalet » Erfoud
April 27th 2009
Published: April 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

"Id like to sleep with you in the desert tonight, a million stars all around " Eagles

Fez was a busy city that was both metropolitain and 3rd world at the same time. The medina , a labrythith of streets with donkeys sharing the path was an amazing array of sights and sounds. The new part of the city or ville nouve had a pedestrian mall and a promenade along the main blvd we spent 2 nights here exploring, people watching and enjoyiing finger lickin good meals.

After Fez we drove into the dessrt to an Auberge in Midelt , it was like an oasis rising from the sand dusted with green and spotted with yellow wildflowers.


Our home for the night was a sprawling complex of rooms with long couches encircling the walls, fireplces and open areas of long forgotten fountains though slightly run down the auberge Jaafar captured our hearts if only for a moment... when we walked to the Gourges d Aouli and visited the village of sand colored square homes and talked with the children, in fragmented english, that they answered in French and arabic.


In Midelt we also visited a Berbers womens coop , an embroidery workshop. We travelled further into
the dessert stopping in Er Rachidia, Erfoud, through Risssani to Merzoug that would be our lauching pad for our overnight dessert camp. An one hour ride along the red colored dunes took us into the lives of the nomads for one night. We fell asleep to berber drums with sand in our beds and the dunes captured on our cameras.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb