The last day - a rush to see the last things


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Marrakech
January 14th 2008
Published: January 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 - today we were supposed to have a whole day in Marrakech, leaving the hotel at around 17:00, to catch our flight out at 19:10.
But, as I told you on day 5 - Iberia screwed us again, and we had to leave our hotel at 12:00, so basically the whole day was shot. We wanted to make the best of it anyway, and enjoy the atmosphere and smells till the last second.

So, we made an early start, to see the sights that we had not seen on Friday (remember? we went into the Souks and almost never left?) - so that meant the Saadian Tombs, El Bahia palace, and Palais Dar Si Said.
We left the Riad, and looked for a taxi, but there were none to be had. Now, do you remember our game of getting as many people in one taxi as possible? Well, we were really stuck, until one of our party saw a small truck (!) the type that you put animals in the back of ! She ran over and asked the driver whether he would take us to the Saadian Tombs. He agreed (for just 20 Dirhams), and we piled into the back of the seat-less truck. It was hysterical - we were all crouched there, hanging on for dear life as the driver twisted and turned on the way to drop us off. Certainly this was a part of the holiday we were never going to forget !
Tip #4 The 2 hours we spent at these three sights were really worthwhile, especially the Saadian tombs - definitely pay for a guided tour. We also managed to get to the Palais Ed Badi, which is just a ruin nowadays - there definitely DON'T pay for a guided tour - a walk around on your own with a guide book is more than enough, and the guided tours are relatively expensive.

By 11:00 we were done, so another quick shop in the Souks, back to pick up our jackets and skirts, and by 12:30 we were on our way to the airport. And guess what? When we got to the airport, our original flight was not cancelled at all !!!!!!! But it was too late to start arguing about it, and we had to take the earlier flight, via Madrid. Can you guess what happened when we got to Madrid? Sure you can ... we weren't on that flight either :-( gggrrrrr.... Eventually, Iberia put us on the Madrid -> TelAviv flight (which stopped in Barcelona on the way - ouch), and we eventually got home at around 7 in the morning the next day.

All I can say now is that, despite Iberia, we had a really brilliant holiday, and we are all waiting for the opportunity to go back again.

That's it for now, folks, till the next trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb