The many roads to Marrakech


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Marrakech
October 25th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

To be honest, our first impression of Morocco was not inspiring. The drive from Tangiers to Casablanca was a sad sight - fields and fields littered with garbage and plastic bags (mind you, we were warned). However, it did not take long for us to forget this image as, starting with our visit to the Hassan II Mosque, things improved dramatically.

It seems like so much time has passed since we left Fez, but really it has only been 6 days. The diversity of the landscape has been amazing. Just when we think we have had the ultimate experience something else catches our attention.

Martin, the answer to your question is YES. Don did buy a fossil - a very large one!! I made the mistake of letting him go to the Erfoud Fossil Factory by himself - the "artwork" will, hopefully, arrive in Canada in a couple of months. As you can imagine the air was quite blue for a while......

The last few nights have all been spent in very different types of accommodation. The night in the desert will be pretty hard to beat - once we got there that is! The driver of the 4WD was quite late and very grumpy. We were also held up for quite a while by the police at one of the road checks. We don't know why, but quite a shouting match followed between the police and our driver. By the time we got to our bivouac we had missed the sunset - but really id didn't matter in the end as the sunrise was magnificent and the incident with the police was amusing. Sleeping in the bedouin tent was quite something. The silence and the big sky were truly an experience not to be missed. We were also lucky in that it was almost a full moon.

The night in the Dades Valley was spent in an old Kasbah perched on the edge of a cliff, way off the tourist path. It would only have taken a minor earthquake to send us all tumbling downhill.

We are really enjoying our accommodation here in Marrakech. A nice peacefully spot in which to relax after crazy days in the Medina.We have now been in Marrakech for two days - we love it. Tomorrow we head to the coast for two nights. Hard to believe it is all coming to an end.

Once again; this is a short update because the internet here is just too frustrating. Hopefully you will hear from us again before we leave. Devon is going to seem pretty strange after all this excitement - will we be able to cope?



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



27th October 2007

World Class Travelers
Well, you two certainly have become that....World Class Travelers that is. Good on ya both. The stories and pics are amazing, as is the fact you are actually experiencing all this as we speak. The blog site is terrific, wish we had known about it during our recent trip. Keep em coming, and say hi to all at P and P's place.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb